Current Affairs of 16 November 2018 are as follows:-
1. Delhi Police Commissioner launches e-learning portal:-
- Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik launched the force's e-learning portal NIPUN and training division website on November 14, 2018.
- Through the website, the Delhi Police will be using advanced technology in imparting in-service training to its personnel.
- The e-learning portal aims to give online training and information through specialised courses designed by experts in the field.
- With resources such as law, standing orders, investigation checklists, forms for case files, latest High Court and Supreme Court rulings being made available online through the e-learning portal, it is envisioned that the investigating officers will be able to take the benefit of this information during the course of their duty.
- The flexibility of taking courses anytime and anywhere will now make it possible for police personnel to upgrade their skills and re-enforce their learning while balancing training time with work time.
2. Mahindra opened its electric technology manufacturing hub in Bengaluru:-
- Mahindra Electric Mobility has opened a new electric technology manufacturing hub which is of worth Rs.100 crore in Bengaluru.
- The new plant has rolled out its lithium-ion three-wheeler range, Treo and Treo Yaari. The new facility will make battery packs, power electronics and motor assembly which are an integral part of an electric powertrain.
- The plant uses global standards of manufacturing processes. It will increase the manufacturing capacity to 25,000 units per annum from the current 5,000 units.
- It will also have a flexible production line where Mahindra can make both three- and four-wheelers.
3. CBI-Alok Verma Dispute: SC orders CVC to hand over probe report to Alok Verma for his response:-
- The Supreme Court on November 16, 2018, ruled that the vigilance probe report of the CVC against ousted CBI Director Alok Verma gives out “mixed” findings and indicated that some changes need to be investigated further.
- The court directed the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) to hand over the copy of the probe report to CBI Director Alok Kumar in a sealed cover and asked Verma to file his response by November 19, 2018.
- The matter will now be heard on November 20. The court stated that the report should also be handed over to Attorney General K K Venugopal and Solicitor General Tushar Mehta.
4. Ashok Chawla resigns as Yes Bank chairman:-
- Former bureaucrat Ashok Chawla resigned as non-executive chairman of Yes Bank.
- According to sources, Chawla offered to quit as the controversy was being generated on his continuance on the Board of Directors following his name appearing in a CBI charge sheet in the Aircel-Maxis case.
- The bank shall in due course announce the appointment of a Chairman, post-RBI's approval.
- As per sources, representations were being made by shareholders and stakeholders to the bank as well as regulators like Sebi questioning his continuance on the Yes Bank's Board after being named in a charge sheet filed in Aircel-Maxis case by the premier investigating agency CBI in July.
5. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to inaugurate National Press Day celebrations in New Delhi;-
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley will inaugurate the National Press Day celebrations in New Delhi. Press Council of India Chairman CK Prasad the winners of the National Awards for Excellence in Journalism will be honoured on the occasion.
- Eminent journalist and Chairman of the Hindu Publishing Group, N Ram has been selected under prestigious award category of Raja Ram Mohan Roy award.
- Ruby Sarkar, Chief Correspondent of Deshbandhu, Bhopal and Rajesh Josh of Daily Pudhari in Ratnagiri will share the award in the category of Rural Journalism.
- The selection of the awardees was carried out by a jury comprising eminent working journalists, and senior editors, among others.
- The Delegates from neighbouring Press Councils of SAARC countries - Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives will be present on the occasion.
6. Virat Kohli and Jasprit Bumrah maintain top positions in ICC ODI rankings:-
- India captain Virat Kohli and fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah maintained their top positions in the batsmen and bowlers ranking respectively in the latest ICC (International Cricket Council) ODI (One Day International) rankings published Virat Kohli remained in the number one position in the ODI batsmen ranking with 899 points.
- Shikhar Dhawan is the third Indian in the top-10 list. He has secured 8th position. Former captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni is ranked 20th in the list.
- In the ODI bowlers ranking, Jasprit Bumrah remains in number one position with 841 points. Kuldeep Yadav remains in third place.
7. Sushil, Swapna dropped from revised TOPS list:-
- Double Olympic medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar and India's first Asian Games gold medallist heptathlete Swapna Barman were on November 16, 2018, dropped from the latest Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) that was revised keeping in mind the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Sushil, who won bronze and silver medals respectively in 2008 Beijing and 2012 London Olympics in 66kg freestyle category, crashed out in his first qualification bout at this year's Jakarta Asian Games in the 74kg and the latest result didn't go in his favour.
- Besides Sushil, another big name to have been dropped from the latest TOPS list, which was reviewed last on July 18 before the Asian Games, is Swapna, who created a flutter in Jakarta by becoming India's first gold medallist in a heptathlon.
- Keeping an eye on the 2020 and 2024 Olympics, the government's Mission Olympic Cell reviewed three sporting disciplines - athletics, wrestling and weightlifting.
8. PM Modi felicitates winners of first India-Singapore Hackathon:-
- The winning teams from India were IIT Kharagpur, NIT Trichy and MIT College of Engineering, Pune.
- The winning teams from Singapore comprised Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
- Prime Minister Modi is in Singapore for the two-day visit to the country. He began his visit on November 14 by delivering his keynote address at the prestigious Fintech Festival.
9. Aadi Mahotsav festival begins in New Delhi:-
- The 15-day Aadi Mahotsav festival is beginning in the national capital Delhi. Briefing media, Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram more than 600 artisans from 23 states will participate in the event.
- The theme of the festival is 'celebration of the spirit of tribal culture, craft, cuisine and commerce'.
- It will feature exhibition-cum-sale of tribal handicrafts, art, paintings, fabric, jewellery and much more through one hundred stalls. The highlights of the festival will be a fashion show for tribal textiles and tribal cuisines.
10. WCD Ministry approves 3 proposals under Nirbhaya Fund:-
- The Empowered Committee of Officers under Nirbhaya Fund, under the Chairmanship of Secretary, Women and Child Development Ministry on November 16, 2018, approved the following three major proposals:
- Law Ministry’s proposal to set up 1023 Fast Track Special Courts (FTSCs) to dispose of pending cases of rape, and POCSO Act across the country. The project has a total financial implication of Rs 767.25 crores. In the First phase, 777 FTSCs may be set up in 9 states and in the second phase, 246 FTSCs will be set up.
- The Proposal of Home Ministry for procurement of forensic kits for sexual assault cases to kickstart usage of such kits in States/UTs through TOTs (Training of Trainers), capacity building/training for forensics in sexual assault cases and strengthening of State FSLs under Nirbhaya Fund with a total financial implication of Rs 107.19 crores.
- The Proposal from Konkan Railway Corporation Limited for setting up video surveillance system at 50 Railway Stations with a total Project cost of Rs 17.64 crores that will be utilised for surveillance hardware and accessories, local connectivity equipment and power supply devices.