Current Affairs of June 16, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Cristiano Ronaldo scores a 1st hat-trick of FIFA World Cup 2018:-
- Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo (33-year-old) scored FIFA World Cup 2018's first hat-trick in the first match of the tournament, in first three minutes and 30 seconds.
- This hat-trick was the 51st in World Cup history, as well as Ronaldo's 51st career hat-trick.
- Ronaldo completed his sixth international hat trick when he scored on a free kick in the 88th minute, giving Portugal a 3-3 tie with Spain.
2. 1st Indian-made artillery gun Dhanush clears a final test:-
- India’s first indigenous artillery gun ‘Dhanush’ cleared its final test and is ready to be inducted into the Indian Army.
- Earlier this month, fifty rounds of shells each were fired from six Dhanush guns.
- These guns are reportedly called ‘desi Bofors’.
3. India To Host European Union Film Festival from 18th June:-
- The European Union Film Festival (EUFF) 2018 will premiere in New Delhi on 18th June 2018 at the Siri Fort Auditorium.
- The festival will be organized in 11 Indian cities: New Delhi, Chennai, Port Blair, Pune, Puducherry, Kolkata, Jaipur, Visakhapatnam, Thrissur, Hyderabad and Goa from 18th June till 31st August.
- The Festival will be inaugurated by the Hon'ble Union Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting, Mr. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore.
4. UNSC elects 5 non-permanent members for the two-year term:-
- The United Nations General Assembly voted to elect Germany, Belgium, South Africa, the Dominican Republic and Indonesia for a two-year term in the Security Council with effect from January 1, 2019.
- The council makes legally binding decisions and has the power to impose sanctions and authorize the use of force.
- The General Assembly elects five new members every year.
5. Milky Way disc much bigger than thought:-
- Scientists recently discovered that it will take us 200000 years to cross the Milky Way disc, even if we travel at the speed of light.
- Spiral galaxies, such as the Milky Way, have discs which are really thin.
- These discs are limited in size so that beyond certain radius, there are very few stars left.
6. Gujarat tops Niti Aayog's composite water management index; while Jharkhand ranked lowest:-
- Union Minister for Water Resources Nitin Gadkari released Niti Aayog's composite water management index report in New Delhi Yesterday.
- Gujarat topped the list while Jharkhand was adjudged as the worst performer. Gujarat is followed by Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Maharashtra.
- In the northeastern and Himalayan states, Tripura has been adjudged as the top state in 2016-17 followed by Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim, and Assam.
- Niti Aayog has ranked the states through first of its kind index on the composite water management, comprising 9 broad sectors with 28 different indicators covering various aspects.
7. Veteran journalist Adiraju Venkateswara Rao passes away:-
- 80-year-Old Veteran journalist and author Adiraju Venkateswara Rao passed away in Hyderabad, Telangana. His native is Khammam district.
- In a career spanning over five-and-a-half decades, he worked for several Telugu and English dailies and news agencies including Andhra Jyothi, Udayam, Deccan Chronicle, Indian Express, Himachal Times and Hindustan Samachar at Hyderabad and Delhi.
8. United States, Mexico, and Canada win right to host 2026 World Cup:-
- The United States, Mexico, and Canada won the right to host the 2026 World Cup after beating Morocco in a vote by FIFA member nations in Moscow.
- The North American bid received 134 of the 203 votes, while Morocco polled 65 in the ballot at a FIFA Congress held in Moscow.
- Football's World Cup event will return to the North American continent for the first time since 1994 when the United States hosted the tournament.
9. SBI to stop handling Iran oil payments after US President Donald Trump pulled out of Iran nuclear deal:-
- SBI (State Bank of India) has informed refiners it will not handle payments for crude from Iran from November 2018.
- Such a move from the SBI would come after US President Donald Trump pulled out of an international nuclear deal with Iran on May 8 and said he would reimpose sanctions within 180 days.
- Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL), the owner of the world's biggest refining complex, plans to halt oil imports from Iran while Rosneft-promoted Nayara Energy has started cutting purchases from this month.
10. Peggy Whitson most experienced spacewoman in the world retires as the astronaut:-
- NASA's record-breaking astronaut, Peggy Whitson, retired on June 15 after a 22-year-long career.
- She has spent totally 665 days over three International Space Station missions.
- The 58-year-old is the oldest woman to go into space and also the most experienced female spacewalker, with 10 missions.