Current Affairs of 16 August 2018 following as:-
1. The government dismissed Usha Ananthasubramanian from service:-
- Usha Ananthasubramanian was, three months back, divested of all her powers as MD of Allahabad Bank, after being named in a CBI charge-sheet in the Rs 14,000 crore (Rs 140 billion) Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud case but had continued to be an employee of the bank.
- A Mumbai branch of PNB had fraudulently issued LoUs (letters of undertaking) for the group of companies belonging to Nirav Modi since March 2011.
2. US forms ‘Iran Action Group’ for post-nuclear deal policy:-
- US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo on August 16, 2018, announced the formation of the Iran Action Group (IAG) to coordinate and run the country's policy towards Iran.
- The development follows President Donald Trump's announcement of the unilateral withdrawal of the United States from the multinational Iran nuclear deal.
- The basic aim behind the formation of IAG is to change the Iranian regime's behavior.
- The group will ensure that the US Department of State remains closely synchronized with the US interagency partners.
3. NITI Aayog Launches Pitch To MOVE:-
- It is a mobility pitch competition that aims to provide budding entrepreneurs of India with a unique opportunity to pitch their business ideas to a distinguished jury.
- The main aim is to identify and incentivize the startups, which will help the Government realize its vision of Shared, Connected, Intermodal and Environment-Friendly Mobility for India.
4. SC directs Assam NRC coordinator to submit data of excluded people:-
- The Supreme Court on August 16, 2018, asked the Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC) coordinator to submit the data of district-wise percentage of the population excluded from the NRC draft in the state.
- The bench directed the state NRC coordinator Prateek Hajela to make the copies of draft NRC available at all panchayat offices so that public can access it easily.
- The apex court said that the claim and objection forms on the Assam NRC issue will be made available to the general public from August 20.
5. Atal Bihari Vajpayee: Major events; Key milestones of his political journey:-
- Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee passed away on August 16, 2018, following a prolonged illness at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi. He was 93.
- He was admitted at the AIIMS on June 11, 2018.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the first non-Congress Prime Minister to serve a full five-year term. Vajpayee served three terms as the Prime Minister of India.
- He served the first term in 1996 for just 13 days. During his second term in 1998-199, he served for 13 months. In his final and third term, he served the nations for full five years from 1999-2004.
6. Film Actor Akshay Kumar Becomes Brand Ambassador For Road Safety Campaigns:-
- Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari launched three short films for generating public awareness towards road safety.
- Akshay Kumar featured in these films, which are directed by Shri R.Balki.
7. British police returned the Bronze Buddha statue to ASI:-
- British police have returned a 12th-century bronze Buddha statue which was stolen from Bihar in 1961 to the Indian High Commission in London.
- The statue along with 13 other statues was stolen 57 years ago from the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) site museum in Nalanda.
- The bronze Buddha statue was identified at a trade fair in London in March 2018.
- The Metropolitan Police’s Art and Antiques Unit reviewed the idol and ASI confirmed the idol’s identity. The British Police has agreed to return it to ASI.
8. Godrej's Smita Crishna tops list of India's wealthiest women:-
- Smitha V. Crishna, a third-generation heir of the Godrej family, ranks first in the Kotak Wealth Hurun-Leading Wealthy Women 2018 list with an estimated wealth of ₹ 37,570 crores.
- Roshni Nadar, a CEO and executive director at HCL, ranks second in the list with an estimated wealth of ₹30,200 crore.
- Indu Jain, the chairperson of the Times Group, ranks third in the list with an estimated wealth of ₹26,240 crore.