Current Affairs of July 15, 2018, are as follows:-
1. TCA Raghavan is appointed Director-General of ICWA:-
- Dr. T.C.A. Raghavan is appointed as the Director General (DG), ex officio member-Secretary of the Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA) by Vice President of India and President of ICWA, M. Venkaiah Naidu.
- The post of DG is equivalent to the rank of Secretary to Government of India.
- The decision was taken in the meetings of the Governing Body and Governing Council of the ICWA.
- Dr. T.C.A. Raghavan has served as India’s High Commissioner to Islamabad and Singapore and has served in India’s missions at London, Thimphu, and Kuwait.
2. World Youth Skills Day observed on 15 July:-
- The World Youth Skills Day was observed across the world on July 15, 2018. The day is commemorated to raise awareness on the importance of investing in youth skills development.
- To celebrate the World Youth Skills Day 2018, a discussion focusing on how innovation and emerging technologies, such as artificial intelligence (AI), are transforming labor markets, as well as what skills youth need to operate in future economies and to become drivers of a sustainable future, will take place on July 16 at the UN Headquarters in New York.
3. Ajay Jayaram finishes runner-up at White Nights International Challenge:-
- Indian shuttler Ajay Jayaram finished runners-up at the White Nights International Challenge.
- Jayaram, who had achieved a career-best ranking of world no 13 in April last year, aggravated a hamstring injury at the Senior Nationals.
- An old knee injury also flared up and he was out of action for over six months. It affected his ranking as it nosedived 96.
4. IDBI Bank officers threaten 6-day strike from 16th July:-
- A section of IDBI Bank officers has threatened to go on a six-day strike from Monday (July 16) in protest against the proposed acquisition of the state-owned lender by insurance behemoth LIC and wage-related issues, among others.
- Wage revision for IDBI Bank employees is pending since November 2012.
- Also, the All India IDBI Officers’ Association had opposed the up to 51 percent sale of the bank’s equity to LIC, saying the move tantamounts to the privatization of the bank.
5. Dipa Karmakar likely to be named Tripura's brand ambassador:-
- Ace Indian gymnast Dipa Karmakar, who recently bagged the gold medal in the women's vault event at the Artistic Gymnastics World Challenge Cup in Mersin in Turkey, is likely to become the brand ambassador of Tripura.
- The 24-year-old Dipa was born in Tripura Capital, Agartala and had finished fourth in Rio Olympics in 2016.
- She is the first Indian female gymnast ever to compete in the Olympics.
- For her commendable performance in Rio Olympics 2016, the Government of India conferred upon her the Khel Ratna award in August 2016.
6. T Latha appointed as new MD, CEO of Dhanlaxmi Bank for three years:-
- She has taken over from G Sreeram, who has retired from the office on July 1, 2018, on completion of his tenure.
- She has 35 years of banking experience with Punjab National Bank (PNB) and was in charge of credit operations dealing with large corporate credits.
7. Venkaiah Naidu becomes first Chairman of Rajya Sabha to sign MoU:-
- The Rajya Sabha, for the first time in 76 years since it came into being, entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Senate of Rwanda for promoting inter-parliamentary dialogue.
- Venkaiah Naidu became the first Chairman of Rajya Sabha to sign such MoU with the visiting President of the Senate of Rwanda Bernard Makuza.
- The MoU with 6 articles of cooperation seeks to promote Inter-Parliamentary dialogue, capacity building of parliamentary staff, the organization of conferences, forums, seminars, staff attachment programmes, workshops, and exchanges.
8. PM Modi became third most followed world leader on Twitter:-
- BCW’s (Burson Cohn & Wolfe) Twiplomacy study 2018 identified PM Narendra Modi as the third most followed world leader on Twitter with 42 million followers on his personal account @NarendraModi, while Sushma Swaraj is the most followed female world leader, with 11 m followers.
- US President Donald Trump is the most followed world leader on Twitter, with 52 million followers on his @realDonaldTrump account.
- Facebook is the second most popular platform among government leaders followed by Instagram.