Current Affairs of 15 August 2018 are described as:-
1. Rekha Sharma appointed as chairperson of National Commission for Women:-
- Sharma, 54, was earlier a member of the Commission and was holding the additional charge of chairperson after Lalitha Kumaramangalam demitted office in September last year. She belongs to Haryana.
- The National Commission for Women (NCW) was set up as the statutory body in January 1992 under the National Commission for Women Act, 1990.
2. Haryana to inaugurate its first licensed Hisar Airport:-
- The airport will be inaugurated on August 15 by Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar.
- The team informed that the airport selected by the Ministry of Civil Aviation under the RCS-UDAN Scheme in which one airline namely M/s Pinnacle Airways Limited have bid for two routes namely Delhi-Hisar and Hisar-Chandigarh.
3. President's Police medals for distinguished services announced:-
- 942 personnel have been awarded Police Medals on the occasion of the Independence Day this year.
- President’s Police Medal for Gallantry has been awarded to two personnel.
- Police Medal for Gallantry has been awarded to 177 personnel. President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service to 88 personnel and Police Medal for Meritorious Service have been given to 675 personnel.
- Both the President's Police Medal for Gallantry has been awarded posthumously to CRPF Head Constable Mohd Tafail and CRPF Constable Sharief Ud Din Ganaie.
4. Union Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated NDMC Smart City Projects:-
- These projects are undertaken by the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC). The inauguration was done by Union Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The projects include Smart Poles, Solar Tree, Ideation Centre, 50 LED interactive screens, Ambedkar Vatika and various other things.
5. India celebrates 72nd Independence Day:-
- India on August 15, 2018, celebrated its 72nd Independence Day by paying tribute to its previous leaders and freedom fighters.
- The Day witnessed the unfurling of the National flag at Red Fort in Delhi by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- On the eve of 72nd Independence Day, President Ram Nath Kovind addressed the nation and called for creative thinking in governance that enables fast-track development and ensures social harmony.
- India gained its independence from British Rule on August 15, 1947.
6. Indian Navy launched 'Operation Madad' in flood-hit Kerala:-
- The Southern Naval Command (SNC) launched 'Operation Madad' for assisting the Kerala administration and undertaking disaster relief operations due to the unprecedented flooding experienced in many parts of Kerala.
- All the five gates of the Idukki (Cherurhoni) Dam in Kerala have been opened for the first time in 26 years, due to heavy rain and flooding. The Idukki Dam system is constructed across the river Periyar.
7. James Anderson became first bowler to take 100 Test wickets at Lord's:-
- England fast bowler James Anderson (36-year-old) became the first bowler to take 100 Test wickets at the iconic Lord's Cricket Ground when he dismissed India opener Murali Vijay on day four of the second Test in the ongoing five-match Test series against India.
- Sri Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan is the only other bowler to capture 100 wickets at a single venue.
8. PV Sindhu remained at 3rd spot and Srikanth at 8th spot in BWF 2018 ranking:-
- In the latest Badminton World Federation (BWF) singles rankings, P V Sindhu remained static at the third spot, Saina Nehwal lost a place to be ranked 11th now. Kidambi Srikanth slipped two places to eighth.
- Viktor Axelsen from Denmark and Tai Tzu Ying from Chinese Taipei ranked first in BWF Men's Singles and Women's Singles, respectively.