Current Affairs of 14 November 2018 are as follows:-
1. India celebrates the 130th birth anniversary of Pt Nehru:-
- The nation celebrates the 130th birth anniversary of Pt Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime minister of independent India.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid tributes to the leader and remembered his contribution in India’s freedom struggle. Pt Nehru was born on November 14, 1889.
- He was known for his love for children and was fondly called Chacha Nehru. Before 1964, Children’s day was celebrated in India on November 20.
- It was observed as the Universal Children’s Day by the United Nations. But after Nehru’s death in 1964, the nation decided to celebrate his birthday as Bal Diwas (Children’s Day) to honour his memory.
- Pt Nehru once said: “The children of today will make the India of tomorrow. The way we bring them up will determine the future of the country”.
2. Odisha government signed MoU with AIFF:-
- Odisha government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the All India Football Federation (AIFF) at the Kalinga Stadium complex, Bhubaneswar, Odisha in the presence of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
- As per the agreement, the State government will host National team camps and also I-League side Indian Arrows.
- The training and connected infrastructure like gymnasiums, swimming pool, etc, will be housed at the Kalinga Stadium Complex.
3. Government to release Rs 75 commemorative coin to mark the anniversary of Tricolour hoisting by Bose:-
- The Union Ministry of Finance decided to release a Rs 75 commemorative coin on the occasion of 75th anniversary of the hoisting of Tricolour for the first time by Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose at Port Blair.
- During his visit to Andaman in on December 30, 1943, Subhash Chandra Bose hoisted the Tricolor for the first time on free Indian soil at Cellular Jail of Port Blair, much before India attained Independence declaring the island as the free territory from the British rule.
4. Google to Implement a Transparency Policy For Buying Political Adverts Ahead of Indian Elections:-
- The company put in place a global framework and will also establish tools to stop the spread of fake news related to elections. Google brought its newly expanded Safety Centre to India.
- The Safety Centre, as its name suggests, is designed as a one-stop place from where you can access all the relevant resources to enhance their privacy and safety across all Google products and services.
5. HRD Ministry launches Leadership for Academicians Programme:-
- Minister of State for Human Resource Development Satya Pal Singh launched the Leadership for Academicians Programme, LEAP and Annual Refresher Programme In Teaching, ARPIT in New Delhi.
- ARPIT is a unique initiative of online professional development of 15 lakh higher education faculty. For implementing ARPIT, 75 discipline-specific institutions have been identified and notified as National Resource Centres in the first phase.
6. Thirty Eight India International Trade Fair to begin at Pragati Maidan:-
- The 14-day annual event will continue till 27th of this month. The theme of the fair is Rural Enterprises in India. Afghanistan is the Partner Country, while Nepal will be the Focus Country.
- Jharkhand is participating as a Partner State in the event. Around 800 participants from States and government departments, domestic and international companies are taking part to showcase their product.
- With a view to providing a hassle-free visit of the fair, 50 per cent of the tickets will be sold in advance, while rest of the tickets can be purchased by the visitors on the same day from 66 metro stations.
7. HRD Ministry launches LEAP and ARPIT programmes for higher education faculty:-
- Satya Pal Singh, Minister of State for Human Resource Development, launched two new initiatives, namely, the Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) and the Annual Refresher Programme In Teaching (ARPIT) for higher education faculty.
- While LEAP is a three weeks flagship leadership development training programme for second level academic functionaries in higher education institutions, ARPIT is a unique initiative of online professional development of 15 lakh higher education faculty.
8. Seventh RCEP Inter-Sessional Ministerial Meeting Concludes in Singapore:-
- The Minister for Trade and Industry of Singapore Mr Chan Chun Sing was the Chair of the meeting as Singapore is currently the Chair of ASEAN this year.
- The Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) is a mega-regional free trade agreement being negotiated amongst 16 countries, comprising 10 ASEAN countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) plus six ASEAN FTA partners, namely Australia, China, India, Japan, Korea and New Zealand.
- The Ministers acknowledged the good progress made in the negotiations so far with successful conclusion of 5 chapters this year alone, taking the total to 7 chapters, namely (i) Economic and Technical Cooperation (ii) Small and Medium Enterprises (iii) Customs Procedures and Trade Facilitation (iv) Government Procurement (v) Institutional Provisions (vi) Standards, Technical Regulations and Conformity Assessment Procedures (STRACAP); and (vii) Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS).