Current Affairs of May 14, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Lata Mangeshkar Honoured With Swara Mauli Award:-
- Indian Melody queen Lata Mangeshkar was honored with the Swara Mauli title by spiritual guru Vidya Narasimha Bharati Swami. Mangeshkar, 88, was conferred with the award at her residence in Mumbai.
- Her sisters Asha Bhosle and Usha Mangeshkar and brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar were also present.
2. Kerala, NTPC sign MoU for solar power:-
- The Kerala State Electricity Board has signed a memorandum of understanding with the National Thermal Power Corporation for increasing solar power generation in the state.
- The MoU also includes an agreement to set up a 15 MW solar power unit at the NTPC complex in Kayamkulam.
- The possibility of setting up solar plants at reservoirs, open space and top of buildings will also be explored.
3. President Ram Nath Kovind to leave for Ajmer from Jaipur:-
- Our Honorable President Ram Nath Kovind will leave for Ajmer this morning from Jaipur.He will visit Pushkar Sarovar and Brahma Temple at Pushkar and Dargah of Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti at Ajmer.
- Elaborate security arrangements are made for the visit of the president. AIR correspondent reports that
- The President will leave for Ajmer at 9.30 this morning and will reach Ghoora Helipad.
- He will directly go to Pushkar Sarovar where he will offer prayers. From there he will go to Brahma Temple and remain there for over half an hour.
- From Pushkar, Mr. Kovind moves for Dargah of Khawaja Moinuddin Chisti at Ajmer. He will be welcomed on Nizam Gate and Anjuman Committee of Khadims will welcome him at Buland Darwaja.
- The President will remain in Dargah for about 50 minutes and then go to circuit house. Both Brahma Temple and Dargah will be vacated today for security measures.
4. Government to link 200 more mandis to eNAM:-
- Union Government is going to link additional 200 wholesale mandis to online trading platform eNAM and also encourage inter-mandi transactions. At present, 585 regulated mandis in 14 states are linked with the eNAM.
- eNAM is a pan-India electronic trading portal for farm produce which aims to create a unified national market for agricultural commodities by integrating existing Agriculture Produce Market Committee (APMC) markets.
- It provides single window service for all APMC related services and information, such as commodity arrivals and prices, provision for responding to trade offers, buy and sell trade offers, among other services. It was launched in April 2016.
5. Fino Payments Bank Launched Digital Suite:-
- Fino Payments Bank launched a suite of digital products that can be accessed online and through mobile phones with the focus to build the transaction platform. Fino had launched its mobile banking app BPay in 2017.
- The latest initiatives include Unified Payments Interface (UPI), BHIM app - using which customers can access UPI and make P2P payments, net banking, digi savings account which can be opened with only Aadhaar number and PAN card and FasTag for making digital payments at toll plazas on national highways.
6. Three public welfare schemes launched in Rajasthan:-
- President Ram Nath Kovind during his maiden two-day visit as head of the state of Rajasthan on May 14, 2018, launched three public welfare schemes.
The President launched Sundar Singh Bhandari EBC Swarozgar Yojana, Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Antyodaya Swarozgar Yojana, and loan and interest waiver scheme for SCs/STs/OBCs, sanitation workers, and the physically challenged at a function held at the Birla Auditorium in Jaipur. The schemes were announced by the Rajasthan state government during its 2018-19 budget presentation.
Sundar Singh Bhandari EBC Swarozgar Yojana, Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Antyodaya Swarozgar Yojana, and Loan waiver scheme.
7. India and Myanmar sign 7 agreements:-
- India and Myanmar have signed 7 agreements with the External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj’s visit to Myanmar.
- The 7 agreements included one on land border crossing that will enable people from both countries to cross the land border with passport and visa for accessing health and education services.
- Other agreements included MoU on Restoration and Preservation of Earthquake Damaged Pagodas in Bagan, MoU on assistance to the Joint Ceasefire Monitoring Committee, MoU on Setting up Industrial Training Centre (ITC) at Monywa and MoU on ITC at Thaton and Exchange of Letters on extending a maintenance contract for ITC Myingyan.
- A MoU on the training of Myanmar foreign service officers was also signed during the meeting.
8. Chinese state-run bank ICBC launches India-dedicated investment fund:-
- Chinese state-run bank Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) on May 14, 2018, launched the country's first India-dedicated publicly offered investment fund, named as the ‘ICBC Credit Suisse India Market Fund’.
- This significant move came just after the first ever informal summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping which was held in April 2018 at Wuhan.
- It is China's first publicly offered fund for investing in India and it will invest in exchange-traded funds listed on more than 20 exchanges in Europe and in the United States that are based on the Indian market.
- It will invest in the future of the Indian economy and track the distribution of the industrial structure across the Indian market.
9. Noted Lyricist, Poet, Politician Balkavi Bairagi Passes Away:-
- Noted Hindi film lyricist, Nandram Das Bairagi, popularly known as Balkavi Bairagi, passed away in his sleep.
- Bairagi, a Lok Sabha member between 1984 and 1989 and also a former Rajya Sabha MP. He was 87.
- He wrote several Hindi poems, among which, "Jhar gaye paat, bisar gayi tehni" is considered a gem by many Hindi poets.
10. India is the Largest Remittance-Receiving Country In World:-
- India becomes the largest remittance-receiving country in the world, with migrant workers from the country sending home 69 billion US dollars in 2017.
- According to the report ‘RemitSCOPE – Remittance markets and opportunities – Asia and the Pacific’, remittances to the Asia-Pacific region amounted to 256 billion dollars in 2017.
- India with 69 billion Dollars, China with 64 billion Dollars and the Philippines with 33 billion Dollars are the three largest remittance-receiving countries in the world in 2017. Worldwide, an estimated 40% of the total value of remittances goes to rural areas.
- According to the report, cash-to-cash transactions remain by far the most common form of transfer.
11. India, Nepal flag-off Janakpur-Ayodhya bus service under Ramayan Circuit:-
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Nepalese counterpart KP Sharma Oli on May 11, 2018, jointly flagged-off a direct bus service between the two sacred cities Janakpur and Ayodhya, as part of the ‘Ramayan Circuit’.
- The Ramayana Circuit is among the thirteen thematic circuits identified for development under Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Union Ministry of Tourism.
- The bus service seeks to promote religious tourism in Nepal and India. It will provide Janakpur-Ayodhya-Janakpur transportation facility to pilgrims.
- As per mythological story ‘Ramayana’, Ayodhya is Lord Rama’s birthplace, while, Janakpur is the birthplace of goddess Sita.