Current Affairs June 14, 2018, are as follows:-
1. World Blood Donor Day is observed on 14th June:-
- World Blood Donor Day is being observed on June 14 across the globe.
- Every year on 14 June, across the globe the day is celebrated. It is also a day to thank voluntary, unpaid blood donors for their life-saving gifts of blood.
- The day also strongly encourages more people to donate blood so that the donor population does not decline and patients requiring transfusion have timely access to safe blood.
2. Union Minister Nitin Gadkari to release Composite Water Management Index:-
- Our Water Resources Minister Nitin Gadkari will release the Composite Water Management Index in New Delhi today.
- NITI Aayog has come up with the Index in view of limitations on the availability of water resources and the rising demand for water.
- It is an attempt to inspire States and Union Territories towards efficient and optimal utilization of water followed by recycling.
3. Football: United States, Mexico and Canada win right to host 2026 World Cup:-
- The United States, Mexico and Canada won the right to host the 2026 World Cup after beating Morocco in a vote by FIFA member nations in Moscow.
- The North American bid received 134 of the 203 votes, while Morocco polled 65 in the ballot at a FIFA Congress held in Moscow.
- Football's World Cup event will return to the North American continent for the first time since 1994 when the United States hosted the tournament.
4. India and US Agree To Hold Comprehensive Talks To Address Trade & Economic Issues:-
- India and the US have agreed to hold comprehensive talks to address trade and economic issues.
- The decision in this regard was taken during a series of meetings, Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu had with US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. Mr Suresh Prabhu was on a two-day visit to the US.
5. Bindeshwar Pathak honoured with Japan's prestigious Nikkei Asia Prize 2018:-
- Noted social reformer and founder of Sulabh International, Bindeshwar Pathak, was honoured with Japan's prestigious Nikkei Asia Prize.
- The award was given under Culture and Community category for his significant work in tackling poor hygiene and discrimination.
- The award was created and is presented by Nikkei Inc, one of the largest media corporations in Japan.
- Launched in 1996, the award honours people in Asia who have made significant contributions in one of the three areas of regional growth; science, technology & innovation and culture & community.
6. India To Host 1st BIMSTEC Military Exercise:-
- India will host first military exercise of the BIMSTEC Countries in September 2018 in Pune, Maharashtra.
- The theme of the exercise includes counter-terrorism in semi-urban terrain and cordon and search.
- The main aim of this military exercise is to promote strategic alignment among the member-states and to share best practices in the area of counter-terrorism.
- Each participating member country will bring in some 30 soldiers.
- BIMSTEC countries had held disaster management exercise in 2017 in New Delhi, but this will be the first military exercise of the grouping.
7. Cashless Ticketing Through 'Utsonmobile' App Developed By CRIS:-
- The Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS) developed a mobile-based application ‘utsonmobile'.
- The ‘utsonmobile’ application enables booking and cancellation of unreserved tickets, issue and renewal of season and platform tickets, check and load R-wallet balance and helps maintain user profile management and booking history.
8. Raksha Mantri Inaugurates 1st BEL Representative Office In Vietnam:-
- Raksha Mantri, Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated the first Representative Office of Navratna Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Smt Sitharaman handed over the symbolic key of the Representative Office of BEL at Vietnam (VIRO) to Chairman & Managing Director, BEL Mr Gowtama MV during the Vietnam-India Defence Industry Business Meeting.
- The Representative Office will aim to promote BEL’s exports in areas such as Weapon Systems, Radar Systems, Naval Systems, Military Communication Systems, Electronic Warfare Systems, Combat Management System and Coastal Surveillance System.