Current Affairs of 14 & 15 October are as follows:-
1. Manu Bhaker becomes second Indian to win two medals:-
- She bagged a silver medal after her gold medal finish in 10m air pistol event becoming only the second India after judoka Tababi Devi Thangjam to win two medals at the Youth Olympics in Buenos Aires.
- Indian men's hockey team defeated Poland 4-2 in Hockey 5s to advance to the semi-finals while the women's team reached the quarter-finals with a 5-2 win over South Africa.
2. Sikkim Won FAO's Future Policy Award 2018:-
- Sikkim won the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation's (FAO) Future Policy Award 2018 for being the world's first 100% organic state.
- Sikkim defeated 51 nominated policies from 25 countries, winning the Gold Prize of the Future Policy Award 2018, also known as “Oscar for Best Policies”.
- All the winners received the awards in a ceremony at FAO headquarters during the celebrations of the World Food Week in Rome.
3. India ranks 115th in World Banks Human Capital Index:-
- The World Bank released the Human Capital Index (HCI) as part of the World Development Report 2019.
- The theme of the World Development Report (WDR) this year is “The Changing Nature of Work”.
- As part of this report, the World Bank has launched a Human Capital Project (HCP). The HCI has been constructed for 157 countries. The HCI for India has been estimated at 0.44.
- The Index was released at the World Bank-IMF Annual Meetings in Bali, Indonesia.
- Singapore ranked first for its universal health care system, education exams results and life expectancy figures.
- It is followed by South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, and Finland. India was ranked at the 115th position.
4. India ranks 147th in Oxfam World Inequality Index 2018:-
- Oxfam International’s report, the UK-based charity, released Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index. In the Index, India ranked 147th among 157 countries and was labeled as “a very worrying situation” with respect to the rising inequality in the country.
- Out of 157 countries measured, Denmark topped first based on its high and progressive taxation, high social spending and good protection of workers.
5. Karnataka cleared Rs.198 crore drinking water project for Ullal:-
- The Karnataka State government has cleared a Rs.198-crore drinking water project proposal for Ullal. Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy launched the Brand Mangaluru campaign and a village camp programme initiated by the Dakshina Kannada Working Journalists Union.
- Mr.Kumaraswamy said that the city has the potential to grow on a par with Bengaluru in terms of economic activity and development. The campaign is expected to project the true abilities and positive aspects of Mangaluru.
6. Goa Maritime Symposium 2018 held:-
- The 2018 Goa Maritime Symposium, the second edition of the Goa Maritime Symposium (GSM) was inaugurated by the Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil in Goa on October 16, 2018.
- The theme of the seminar this year was “Building Stronger Maritime Partnerships in Indian Ocean Rim (IOR)”. It upholds the forum’s aim of fostering friendly relations with India’s maritime neighbors.
- The deliberations at the forum were focused on capacity building among IOR Navies to tackle emerging maritime threats, in addition to discussing cooperative strategies for enhancing interoperability among partner maritime agencies.
- Renowned national and international speakers articulated their views on these crucial issues, followed by theme based discussions.
7. Tushar Mehta is appointed as the Solicitor General of India:-
- Senior advocate Tushar Mehta is appointed the new Solicitor General of India by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC). Mehta is at present the Additional Solicitor General.
- He replaces Ranjit Kumar as he resigned the post in the month of October in 2017. The post was lying vacant since then.
- Mr.Mehta will hold office till June 30, 2020. Mehta was Gujarat advocate general when Prime Minister Narendra Modi was the chief minister of the state.
8. Bank of Baroda MD and CEO PS Jayakumar gets a one-year extension:-
- Bank of Baroda’s Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, PS Jayakumar got a one-year extension on his role by the government. This is effective from October 12, 2018.
- This was due to the amalgamation between Bank of Baroda (BoB), Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank, where the government wants to keep the top management intact.