Current Affairs of July 13, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Google introduced Launchpad Accelerator for AI, ML Startups In India:-
- "Launchpad Accelerator India" is a new comprehensive mentorship programme tailored exclusively for Indian startups that are using Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) to build solutions for the pressing problems in the country.
- The selected 8-10 startups will get Google's mentorship and $100K Google Credits.
2. Hima Das becomes the first woman to win gold in World Jr Athletics C'ships:-
- Hima Das, 18-year-old from Dhing village in Assam is first Indian woman to win gold at the IAAF World Under-20 Athletics Championships. She won the women's 400 meters final competition in Tampere, Finland, clocking 51.46 seconds.
- Andrea Miklos of Romania clocked a personal best of 52.07 seconds to finish second while Taylor Manson of the United States was third in 52.28 seconds.
3. Olympic torch relay to start in Fukushima:-
- Organisers of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics have revealed that the torch relay will start in Fukushima, an area hit by the 2011 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster.
- The relay will start on March 26, 2020, in Fukushima and will head southward to Okinawa before making its way north again and arriving in Tokyo on July 10.
4. Telecom Commission of India approves Net Neutrality:-
- The Telecom Commission on July 11, 2018, approved the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India's (TRAI) net neutrality recommendations that bar service providers from discriminating against internet content and services by blocking, throttling or granting them higher speed access.
- The decision that aims to ensure open and free Internet in the country was taken at a meeting of the Commission, the highest decision-making body in the Department of Telecommunication in New Delhi.
- In its recommendations, the regulatory body asserted that there should be no intrusion of equal internet access to everyone, based on just the content.
5. Lupin Ltd. appointed Yashwant Mahadik as Global HR President:-
- Pharma major and Drug firm Lupin Limited appointed Yashwant Mahadik as President, Global Human Resources.
- Previously, he was assigned with Sun Pharmaceuticals as Global Chief Human Resources Officer prior to which he held HR roles with increasing responsibilities at companies like Philips, Johnson & Johnson, AstraZeneca, and Colgate Palmolive.
6. BSNL launches India’s first internet telephony service ‘Wings’:-
- State-run telecom company Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) on July 11, 2018, launched its first internet telephony service ‘Wings’ that will allow users to dial any telephone number in India through its mobile app.
- With the launch of this service, the BSNL customers will be able to make calls to any phone number in the country using the mobile app.
- The launch of this app came after the Telecom Commission, highest-decision making body of the Department of Telecom, had allowed companies who hold valid telecom license, to provide app-based calling service even by using wi-fi connection.
7. Mukesh Ambani set to become Asia's richest person, Now Jack Ma is at Second Spot:-
- According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Reliance Industries Ltd chairman Mukesh Ambani overtakes China's Alibaba Group founder Jack Ma to become Asia's richest person.
- Ambani's net worth now stands at $44.3 billion as compared to Jack Ma's $44 billion wealth.
- Ambani has added $4 billion to his fortune this year as Reliance doubled its petrochemicals capacity.
8. Anish and Manu won gold in shooting:-
- In the 28th Meeting of Shooting Hopes international championship, Anish Bhanwala won in junior men’s 25m rapid fire pistol and Manu Bhaker won the junior women’s 10m air pistol.