Current Affairs of 12 November 2018 are as follows:-
1. Army dedicates 2018 to the welfare of Disabled Soldiers:-
- Army Chief Gen. Bipin Rawat said on November 12, 2018, that the Indian Army has dedicated the Year 2018 to the welfare of Disabled Soldiers who have been disabled in the line of duty while serving the Nation.
- The Army Chief was speaking at a function organised by the Indian Army to observe the year 2018 as the Year of the Disabled Soldier, at Mammon Cantt in Pathankot.
- Rawat said that most of the disabled soldiers have come from Northern Command, which he said is doing a challenging task of countering ceasefire violations and tackling terrorism emanating from across the border.
2. Public Service Broadcasting Day observed across India:-
- The Public Service Broadcasting Day was observed across India on November 12, 2018. The day is observed every year to commemorate the first and last visit of the Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi to the studio of All India Radio, Delhi in 1947.
- Mahatma Gandhi had on November 12, 1947, visited the studio of All India Radio to address the displaced people from Pakistan who were temporarily settled in Kurukshetra, Haryana after the partition of the Indian subcontinent.
3. Harmanpreet Kaur becomes first Indian women to hit a century in T20I cricket:-
- Captain Harmanpreet Kaur became the first ever Indian woman to smash a hundred in T20I cricket, achieving the feat against New Zealand in the Women's World T20 2018.
- The 29-year-old scored 103 runs off 51 balls, which included eight sixes and seven fours. Further, Harmanpreet is only the third cricketer to smash a century in Women's World T20.
4. PM Narendra Modi inaugurates Inland Multi-Modal Terminal Port in Varanasi:-
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on November 12, 2018, inaugurated an Inland Multi-Modal Terminal Port on river Ganga at Ramnagar in Varanasi.
- Constructed at the cost of Rs 207 crore, this inland waterways terminal is the first of the four Multi-Modal Terminals being constructed on National Waterways-I on River Ganga as part of the World Bank-aided Jal Marg Vikas project of the Inland Waterways Authority of India.
- The other three terminals are under construction at Sahibganj, Haldia and Gazipur.
5. Marshall Islands leader survives a no-confidence motion:-
- Marshall Islands President Hilda Heine narrowly survived a vote of no confidence on November 12, 2018, seeing off a challenge that she alleges was orchestrated by Chinese-backed business interests intent on undermining the Pacific nation's sovereignty.
- The vote to topple Heine, the first and only elected female leader of a Pacific island nation, split parliament 16-16, one short of the 17 her opponents required.
- Once the vote was confirmed, Speaker Kenneth Kedi -- who had backed the no-confidence move -- congratulated Heine and declared parliament was in recess.
- According to Heine, the no-confidence motion was actually prompted by her government's refusal to back plans for an independently administered tax haven on an atoll within the Marshalls.
- The idea is that the territory would be self-governing and completely tax-free, making it an attractive option for hi-tech firms.
6. Thirty-third ASEAN Summit Begins In Singapore:-
- The 33rd edition of the ASEAN Summit begun in Singapore. Prime Minister of Singapore Lee Hsien Loong is the Chairman of the Summit, which will continue till 15th November along with other related summits like East Asia Summit (EAS), Regional Comprehensive Economic Summit, (RCEP) and ASEAN plus summits.
- Fintech Conference which is a part of Fintech festival will also take place alongside.
7. Union Minister Ananth Kumar passes away: A glimpse of his political career:-
- Union Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, Ananth Kumar passed away on November 12, 2018, at a private hospital in Bengaluru. He was 59. He was diagnosed with lung cancer just three months ago and had returned to Bengaluru recently after undergoing treatment in the United States and Britain.
- He was among a few party leaders, besides former CM B.S.Yeddyurappa, who can be credited for the growth of BJP in Karnataka, bringing the party to power in 2008 and making it the first saffron government in South India.
8. Swati Chaturvedi won the 2018 London Press Freedom award:-
- Swati Chaturvedi has won the 2018 London Press Freedom Award for Courage.
- She is a freelance journalist who has been the target of online trolling and harassment for her investigative reports.
- Ms.Chaturvedi won the award for her work in exposing the “IT cell” within the Bharatiya Janata Party for keeping an army of angry trolls.
- The award ceremony displayed the importance of press freedom and safety of journalists, especially in the wake of the killing of Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi embassy in Istanbul last month.
9. Indian Wrestler Bajrang Punia becomes World No.1 in 65kg category:-
- The 24-year-old, who won silver in World Championships recently, is on top of the United World Wrestling rankings with 96 points, 30 points ahead of the second-placed wrestler.
- He's the lone male Indian to figure in top-10 in any category. Cuban Alejandro Enrique Vlades Tobier is a distant second with 66 points. Russia's Akhmed Chakaev (62) is in third place.
10. Tamil Nadu got SEBI approval to launch State Shelter Fund to fund affordable housing:-
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) gave a nod to Tamil Nadu for launching its State Shelter Fund for attracting investments in the affordable housing segment.
- The fund’s name in Tamil Nadu, Infrastructure Fund. This was announced at an event called ‘Innovative and Alternative Finance for Business and Infrastructure Development in India.
- It was organized by the United Economic Forum (UEF) Chamber of Commerce and the World Islamic Economic Forum Foundation (WIEF).