Current Affairs July 14, 2018, are as follows:-
1. BSNL launched India's first internet telephony service, to enable making calls without SIM:-
- Now BSNL customers will be able to make calls using the company’s mobile app “Wings” to any phone number in the country.
- Registration for the service will start this week and the services will be activated July 25 onwards.
- Telecom Commission, the highest-decision making body of the Department of Telecom, had allowed companies who hold valid telecom license, to provide app-based calling service even by using wi-fi connection.
2. Home Ministry institutes five Police Medals:-
- The Union Home Ministry has instituted five Police Medals to promote professionalism and excellence in service and give recognition to the security personnel doing good work in a stressful environment and in difficult areas.
- All the five medals will be minted and supplied by the Union Home Ministry and will be awarded each year by the Central or State police force/ organizations on a fixed day. A selection committee in every State/Central police force/organization would be identifying the awardees every year.
3. Abhishek Nayar is appointed as the mentor, lead coach of KKR Academy:-
- IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) has appointed Abhishek Nayar as the mentor and head coach of the KKR Academy. KKR has also appointed Omkar Salvi as the bowling coach of Academy.
- The idea of the KKR Academy is to help cricketers improve their skills, fitness as well as grooming talent and to provide them with a perfect platform to showcase their skills.
4. India climbs to 57th Position in Global Innovation Index Rankings:-
- India was ranked 57th in the latest Global Innovation Index (GII) rankings, which were released in New York on July 10, 2018.
- India was ranked 60th in the year 2017 and 81st in 2015.
- Hence, not only has India been able to maintain its top place in the central and South Asia region, but it has also been constantly moving up the global ranking.
- Globally, Switzerland continued to hold its number one position.
- Other countries that made it into the top 10 list include Netherlands, Sweden, UK, US, Finland, Denmark, and Germany.
5. India bagged 4 medals in the Asia Cup World Archery Ranking Tournament:-
- India has bagged 3 silver medals and a bronze in the Asia Cup World Archery Ranking Tournament Stage 3 in Taipei, Taiwan. India also finished joint third with Iran in the championship.
- India ended their campaign behind toppers Korea and hosts Chinese Taipei. Korea topped the tally with 14 medals, 8 of them being gold. Taipei bagged 5 medals, two of them being gold.
6. PM inaugurates new ASI Headquarters in New Delhi:-
- The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, inaugurated Dharohar Bhawan - the new Headquarters building of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), - at Tilak Marg in New Delhi on July 12, 2018.
- Speaking on the occasion, Modi said that the Archaeological Survey of India has performed significant work over the course of the last 150 years or so.
- The Prime Minister emphasized the importance of taking pride in our history, and in our rich archaeological heritage and said that people should take a lead in knowing about local history, and archaeology of their towns, cities, and regions.
7. India becomes 69th shareholder of European development bank:-
- India on July 12, 2018, formally became the 69th shareholder of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), paving the way for more joint investment with Indian companies across the bank's regions of operation.
- India was selected as a member after all the existing EBRD shareholders, who also form its board of governors, voted unanimously in favor of the country's application in March 2018. The membership process was fully completed this week.
- The Indian government had applied for EBRD membership in December 2017. Though now, India has become a shareholder of the EBRD, it will not be a recipient of the bank’s financing.
8. Varanasi to host Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2019:-
- The 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Convention is being organized by Ministry of External Affairs in association with the State Government of Uttar Pradesh in January 2019 (Jan. 21 – 23, 2019).
- The theme of 2019 event is "Role of Indian Diaspora in building a New India".
- Pravasi Bhartiya Divas is annually celebrated on January 9 to mark the contribution of Overseas Indian community towards their homeland.
9. India's first private UAV factory will be set up in Kota:-
- DCM Shriram Industries Group will set up India’s first private sector unit for manufacturing Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAV) and Light Bullet Proof Vehicles (LBPV), on the campus of Shriram Rayons in Kota, under ‘Make in India’ initiative of the union government.
- Total 3000 LBPVs and 500 UAVs will be manufactured annually once the plant is set up and starts its manufacturing.
- These UAVs and LBPVs are likely to be used by defense and para-military forces in India.
10. Maharashtra will launch 'One farmer one transformer' scheme from 15th August:-
- In order to reduce electricity losses, the Maharashtra government will launch a new scheme allocating "one transformer per farmer".
- Two lakh farmers will be given electricity connection for high voltage distribution line which will ensure uninterrupted power supply. Farmers who lose their cattle in the attack by wild animals will now get Rs 40,000, up from Rs 25,000 earlier.
- Rs 2 lakh hike in the compensation given to the kind of people killed in an attack by wild animals was announced. Each affected family will now get Rs 10 lakh instead of Rs 8 lakh earlier.