Current Affairs of May 11, 2018, are as follows:-
1. May 11 is observed as National Technology Day:-
- The National Technology Day was observed across India on May 11, 2018, to commemorate the anniversary of Pokhran nuclear tests of 1998.
- The day also marks India's scientific prowess and technological advancements.
- The official theme for this year is Science and Technology for a sustainable future".
The first nuclear test Pokhran with a codenamed as ‘Smiling Buddha’ was carried out in May 1974.
On May 11, 1998, India successfully test-fired nuclear missile Shakti-I at the Pokhran Test Range of Indian Army in Rajasthan in an operation administered by the late president and aerospace engineer Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.
2. Telangana Government Launches Rythu Bandhu Scheme For Farmers:-
- The Telangana government introduced Rythu Bandhu, a scheme to provide Rs4,000 per acre each to land-owning farmers for Rabi and Kharif seasons, and issued special passbooks for them.
- The programme was flagged off by chief minister K. Chandrashekhar Rao, who distributed 298 cheques to farmers at Huzoorabad Mandal in Karimnagar district.
- The state government has set aside Rs12,000 crore in the 2018-19 budget for Rythu Bandhu.
3. President Ram Nath Kovind, 2nd president to visits Army base in Siachen:-
- Our President Ram Nath Kovind visited the Army base camp in Siachen.
- He is becoming the second President of India to visit the world’s highest battlefield in 14 years.
- The previous visit was undertaken by former president APJ Abdul Kalam in April 2004.
- Siachen glacier's region is the highest battleground on Earth, where Pakistan and India have fought intermittently since April 1984.
4. Vijay Prahar Exercise Of Indian Army Concludes In Rajasthan:-
- Indian Army’s month-long Vijay Prahar exercise concluded in Suratgarh, Rajasthan.It was conducted by South Western Command of Indian Army.
- The exercise was aimed to orchestrate wide spectrum of threats including Nuclear, Chemical or Biological (NCB) attack which is planned to be tackled through high tempo joint air and land operation.
- The exercise was conducted to practice troops in penetrative maneuvers across obstacle-ridden terrain under a nuclear umbrella.
5. PM Modi Leaves for 2-Day Visit to Nepal:-
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has left on a two day State visit to Nepal to take forward the issues of mutual interest and partnership across diverse sectors.
- This is Mr. Modi’s third visit to Nepal as Prime Minister.
- Both the leaders will jointly lay the foundation stone for Arun 3 hydropower project.
- PM Modi will visit historic Janaki temple.
- Both the prime ministers will inaugurate Janakpur-Ayodhya bus service and the inclusion of Janakpur in Ramayana circuit.
6. YES Bank Set to Launch Water-Security Programme:-
- YES, Bank is all set to roll out a capacity building project with farmers in Haryana and Rajasthan under its ‘Livelihood and Water Security’ CSR initiative.
- The overall focus of the programme would be on sustainable agricultural practices and digital literacy.
7. Malaysia Gets Oldest Prime Minister In The World:-
- Mahathir Mohamad was sworn in as Prime Minister of Malaysia. He took the oath at the Istana Negara Palace in Kuala Lumpur.
- Mahathir’s coalition, Pakatan Harapan, won 113 of the total 222 seats. He has replaced Najib Razak.
- His coalition defeated the governing Barisan Nasional coalition, led by Prime Minister Najib Razak, which has been in power for more than 60 years.
- Ninety-two-year-old, Mahathir becomes the oldest Prime Minister in the world.
8. U.S.- India Aviation Summit Held in Mumbai:-
- In collaboration with the U.S.-India Aviation Cooperation Program and the Government of India, US Trade and Development Agency (USTDA) is hosted the 6th U.S.-India Aviation Summit in Mumbai, India.
- The American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE) is organizing this visit on behalf of USTDA.
9. China's Alibaba Buys Pakistan e-Commerce Firm Daraz:-
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba had purchased leading Pakistani online retailer 'Daraz', continuing it is overseas expansion by gaining a foothold in the growing South Asian consumer market.
- China is seeking closer economic ties with Asian neighbors including Pakistan through its Belt and Road initiative, a strategy to increase trade links that are led primarily by infrastructure projects.
10. CM Pema Khandu Inaugurates Arunachal Pradesh's Biggest Solar Plant:-
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu inaugurated the state’s biggest solar power plant at Energy Awareness Park in the presence of Power Minister Tamiyo Taga in Itanagar.
- The plant, with a capacity of 1 MW, was commissioned on April 1 at an estimated investment of Rs 8.50 crore.
- The officials of Arunachal Pradesh Energy Development Agency (APEDA) successfully implemented the project