Current Affairs of 11 August 2018 following as:-
1. Neeraj Chopra named Indian flag bearer for the Asian Games 2018 opening ceremony:-
- Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra has been handed the honour of being the Indian contingent's flag bearer at the 2018 Asian Games in Indonesia's Jakarta and Palembang.
- He won the gold medal in Commonwealth Games 2018 event in Gold Coast earlier this year.
- The announcement was made by Dr Narinder Batra, President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
- Former hockey captain Sardar Singh was India's flag bearer at the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon.
2. SBI launched unified payment terminal MOPAD:-
- State Bank of India (SBI) launched its latest customer-friendly digital initiative Multi Option Payment Acceptance Device (MOPAD) at a shopping mall, in Visakhapatnam.
- The new device titled MOPAD is a Point of Sale (PoS) terminal that would along with cards accept payments through UPI, Bharat QR, and SBI Buddy wallet which till now required different tools to receive payments.
- So customers won’t have to carry cards for shopping, MOPAD can just scan the QR code to make the payment. A charge-slip as a proof of payment will be available for customers who pay through MOPAD.
3. Karnataka government appointed 4 AAGs:-
- The Karnataka government has appointed 4 Additional Advocates Generals (AAGs) to represent the government in the Principal Bench of the High Court of Karnataka.
- The AAGs are A.S. Ponnanna, N. Dinesh Rao, Sandesh J. Chouta, and Nitin Ramesh. The permanent Benches are at Dharwad and Kalaburagi.
- Advocate I.S. Pramod Chandra has been appointed as Special Public Prosecutor-II in the vacancy created by the appointment of Mr.Chouta as AAG.
4. Justice Rajendra Menon takes charge as Chief Justice of Delhi High Court:-
- The Delhi high court with a sanctioned strength of 60 judges after the appointment of Justice Rajendra Menon. He served as a judge in the Gwalior Bench of the Madhya Pradesh.
5. Rajya Sabha passes Immovable Property Amendment Bill:-
- The Requisitioning and Acquisition of Immovable Property (Amendment) Bill, 2017 which was moved by Union Urban Development Minister Hardeep Singh Puri, was adopted by a voice vote. The Lok Sabha had passed the bill in December last year.
- To amend the regulations governing the compensation payable for acquisition of immovable property by the Centre for defence and security purposes.
6. Oral Hygiene Day was celebrated in KLEVE Institute of Dental Sciences:-
- Students and teachers of the Department of Periodontics at the KLE Vishwanath Katti Institute of Dental Sciences celebrated Oral Hygiene Day on 9th August 2018. The celebration was to mark the birth anniversary of Periodontist G.B. Shankhwalker.
- The importance of oral health and maintenance of oral health were emphasised. In that occasion, the Principal Alka Kale said that the hospital will provide free oral prophylaxis to patients in the month of August.
7. Global Innovation Index (GII) 2018 launched in India:-
- The event was organized by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) – one of the founding partners of Global Innovation Index (GII) along with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), in collaboration with the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP).