Current Affairs for 11 April 2018 -
National News for 11 April 2018 -
1) PM Modi to visit Stockholm next week -India and Sweden may sign an innovation partnership agreement. PM Modi travels for a bilateral summit and the first Indo-Nordic summit with Iceland, Finland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden.
2) Google celebrates KL Saigal’s 114th birth anniversary with a doodle - Kundanlal Saigal, or KL Saigal, was a versatile singer and actor. He has worked on 36 films in three languages in a span of 15 years. Saigal has sung over 185 songs throughout his career.
3) ISRO to launch navigation satellite on April 12 - The Indian Space Research Organisation will launch a navigation satellite on Thursday, the eighth such satellite to be a part of a constellation. PSLV-C41/IRNSS-1I Mission is scheduled to be launched on Thursday morning at 4.04am. IRNSS-1I is expected to replace IRNSS-1A, the first of the seven navigation satellites. The launch will be ISRO’s second attempt at sending a replacement satellite.
4) World’s largest solar park to come up in Gujarat - Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani approved setting up a 5000 MW capacity solar park at the Dholera Special Investment Region on Tuesday. The proposed solar power generation project would be set up in 11,000 hectares of land with an investment of Rs 25,000 crore and will contribute significantly to achieving Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s target of producing 175 gigawatts of electricity.
International News for 11 April 2018 -
1) China defends the South China Sea military buildup - Defence ministry spokesman Ren Guoqiang’s statement on Tuesday follows the US Navy’s deployment of three aircraft carriers to the strategically vital sea body. China’s military says it’s entitled to strengthen its defences on islands in the disputed South China Sea. Ren was quoted as saying on the ministry’s website that it was China’s right to take such measures.
2) Indian mechanic in UAE wins $1 million in Dubai raffle - An Indian mechanic based in Sharjah struck gold on Tuesday when he won USD 1 million in the latest Dubai Duty-Free Millennium Millionaire draw. Pinto Paul Thommana, 36, working for an automotive workshop in Sharjah hit the jackpot along with his friend in the latest Dubai Duty-Free draw held in Concourse A of Dubai International Airport.
Business News for 11 April 2018 -
1) Uber buys electric bicycle rental company Jump Bikes - Uber is leaping into the bike-rental industry with the purchase of Jump Bikes. Jump and Uber struck a partnership that integrated Jump’s $2-a-ride service into Uber’s mobile application. The ride-hailing giant agreed to pay more than $100 million in cash and stock to buy the electric-bicycle provider.
Appointment News for 11 April 2018 -
1) IPS officer Rajesh Ranjan takes the appointment as DG CISF - Senior IPS officer Rajesh Ranjan, a 1984 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Bihar cadre, is at present Special Director General, Border Security Force, takes the appointment as Director General of Central Industrial Security Force on Tuesday. He will be as the chief of the CISF till November 30, 2020.
2) Rishad Premji Appointed Nasscom Chairman - Rishad Premji, Board member of Wipro Ltd. has been appointed as the Chairman of the National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) for 2018-19. He succeeds Raman Roy, Chairman and Managing Director, who served as Chairman of NASSCOM for the year 2017-18. NASSCOM also appointed Keshav Murugesh as the Vice Chairman for 2018-19.
3) Balram Bhargava Appointed New DG of ICMR - Balram Bhargava has been appointed the new Director General of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and Secretary of the Department of Health Research. Bhargava, currently a senior consultant cardiologist at the All India Institute of Medical Science, will carry out this role until 2021. He will succeed Soumya Swaminathan.
Resignation News for 11 April 2018 -
1) Trump’s top homeland security adviser resigns - White House adviser on homeland security Tom Bossert on Tuesday became the latest top official to leave the Trump administration. President Trump thanks him for his patriotic service and wishes him well. Bossert’s departure came just a day after John Bolton took charge as President Donald Trump’s third national security adviser.
Sports News for 11 April 2018 -
1) Liverpool beat Manchester City to enter Champions League semi-final - Liverpool reached the Champions League semi-final after recovering from conceding a goal inside two minutes against Manchester City. Liverpool, who won 5-1 on aggregate, is bidding for its sixth title in Europe’s top competition and its first since 2005.
2) India to face Serbia in Serbia in Davis Cup World Group Play-offs - India beat China 3-2 to make it to the World Group Play-offs in the new two-day three-set match format in Tianjin. Team India will play with fifth seed Serbia in an away Davis Cup World Group play-off tie. A Novak Djokovic-less Serbia had lost 1-3 to the USA at home in the first round of the World Group in February this year.
CWG 2018 News for 11 April 2018 -
1) Shooter Shreyasi Singh Wins 12th Gold - Indian shooter Shreyasi Singh won the women's double trap gold in a shoot-off after scoring 96 points to take India's gold medal tally at the 21st Commonwealth Games 2018 to 12.
2) Om Mitharval Wins Bronze in Shooting - Indian shooter Om Prakash Mitharval settled for the bronze medal in the men's 50m pistol event at the 21st Commonwealth Games at Gold Coast, Australia. Host nation Australia's Daniel Repacholi bagged the gold medal in the event with a Games record 227.2 while Shakil Ahmed of Bangladesh won the silver.
These are Current affairs for 11 April 2018. Make use of Current Affairs 11 April 2018.