Current Affairs of 10 November 2018 are as follows:-
1. Paytm tied up with 2 govt depts in Karnataka for better payment experience:-
- The two departments of Karnataka government are The Directorate of Electronic Delivery of Citizen Services (EDCS) and DPAR (Department of Personnel and Administrative Service). Further, Paytm extended a cashback of 10 per cent for up to a maximum of Rs 20 per user on a minimum transaction amount of Rs 200 for payments.
2. Novel 'bionic mushrooms' can produce electricity:-
- Scientists, including those of Indian origin, have created a bionic device that generates green power by 3D-printing clusters of cyanobacteria on an ordinary white button mushroom.
- The researchers took an ordinary white button mushroom from a grocery store and made it bionic, supercharging it with clusters of cyanobacteria that create electricity and swirls of graphene nanoribbons that can collect the current.
3. NASA's Ralph to explore Jupiter's Trojan asteroids in 2021:-
- Ralph - a space instrument that has travelled as far as Pluto — was first launched aboard the New Horizons spacecraft in 2006 and obtained stunning flyby images of Jupiter and its moons. In 2021, Ralph is set to journey with the Lucy mission to Jupiter’s Trojan asteroids.
- The instrument will fly by another Kuiper Belt object called 2014 MU69 — nicknamed Ultima Thule - in January 2019.
4. Samsung unveiled its first-ever foldable smartphone prototype:-
- Samsung has unveiled its first-ever foldable smartphone prototype, which, when opened, transforms into a small pocket-sized tablet. Samsung calls its foldable phone technology the 'Infinity Flex Display'.
- The device looks like a standard smartphone when closed. It opens like a book to reveal another 7.3-inch display, which would be one of the largest phone screens ever released.
5. UAV CH7: China unveils most advanced stealth drone:-
- It was unveiled at the Air Show China 2018 in Zhuhai, China. UAV – CH7, China become the second country following the US, to produce high-altitude long-endurance combat UAVs with advanced penetration capabilities.
- It can launch weapons, like anti-radiation missiles, air-to-ground or anti-ship missiles and long-distance precision-guided bombs. It can be customized. It is 10 meters long. It has a wingspan of 22-meters.
6. Thailand to waive visa-on-arrival fee for Indian travellers:-
- To boost the slump in tourism, the Thai cabinet has announced a waiver on the visa-on-arrival fee for visitors from 20 countries - Andora, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Papua New Guinea, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
- The fee of 2,000 Baht (nearly ₹4,400) will be waived between December 1 and January 31. The waiver is expected to increase tourism in Thailand by 30%.
7. World Science Day for Peace and Development 2018 observed globally:-
- The World Science Day for Peace and Development was observed on November 10, 2018, across the world. The day highlights the significant role of science in society and the need to engage public in debates on emerging scientific issues.
- The Day aims to ensure that citizens are kept informed of developments in science. It underlines the role scientists play in broadening the understanding of the planet.
8. Lok Sabha Secretary General gets one-year extension:-
- The tenure of the Lok Sabha Secretary General, Snehlata Shrivastava, has been extended by Speaker Sumitra Mahajan for one year.
- The 1982-batch retired IAS officer of the Madhya Pradesh cadre, who was appointed last year in rank and status of a Cabinet Secretary, was scheduled to retire on November 30, 2018.
- Her extension will be effective from December 1, 2018, up to November 30, 2019. She has served as Secretary in the Ministry of Law and Justice and as Special/Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Finance.
9. Saudi bans Israeli Muslims from Hajj pilgrimage:-
- New Saudi passport rules have barred Israeli Muslims from visiting Mecca for Hajj pilgrimage.
- Since Israel and Saudi don't have diplomatic ties, Israeli Muslims visited Mecca by going to Jordan where they got temporary Jordanian passports that allowed them to travel to the kingdom.
- Saudi will no longer accept a temporary Jordanian passport.
10. India loses row over safeguard duty on hot-rolled steel at WTO:-
- India lost a major trade dispute at the World Trade Organization (WTO), after a dispute settlement panel largely upheld Japan’s complaint that New Delhi’s imposition of safeguard duty on imports of hot-rolled steel flat products during September 2015 and March 2018 violated core global trade rules. The case was filed by Japan in December 2017.