Current Affairs of May 10, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Nisha Bhalla Conferred With 'WEF 2018' Award:-
- Nisha Bhalla, a 46-year-old holistic coach, and consultant from Mumbai were felicitated at the recently concluded Annual Women Economic Forum (WEF) 2018 Awards.
- WEF is the largest global gathering of women entrepreneurs and leaders worldwide.
- This annual event recognizes the most successful women across all fields, with guests like Nobel laureate Ouided Bouchamaoui. The event was held in Delhi.
- Nisha was presented the 'Excellent Woman of Excellence' award for her spiritual service at the event.
2. Union Government approves green license plates for private electric vehicles:-
- The Union Government on May 10, 2018, approved green license plates bearing numbers in white fonts for private electric-vehicles and yellow font for taxis.
- The government also announced its plan to allow the youth of 16-18 years to drive electric scooters. As per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, those in the age group of 16-18 years can be granted a license for below 50 CC gearless scooters.
- The government is also in view of exempting e-vehicles from permits with an aim to promote their use.
- As per the estimates, India at present has 1 to 1.5 lakh electric vehicles and the fleet is projected to grow to about 5 percent of the total vehicles in the next five years.
- Of the about 24 million vehicles sold in India in 2017-18, electric vehicles accounted for barely about 1 percent.
3. Fifteenth Finance Commission Constituted Advisory Council:-
- The 15th Finance Commission constituted an advisory council to advise and assist the commission.
- The six-member council will be headed by the President of Forum for Strategic Initiatives, Arvind Virmani.
- The role and functions of the council will be to advise the commission on any issue or subject related to the Terms of Reference (ToR) of the Commission.
- Besides, the council will also assist the commission in the preparation of any paper or research study which will enhance the Commission’s understanding of the issues containing in its ToR.
4. Xi Jinping tops the World’s most powerful people list of Forbes:-
- Today, Forbes has released a list of “The World’s Most Powerful People 2018” which consists of 75 men and women. Xi Jinping, General Secretary of the Communist Party of China, seizes the top spot for the first time ever.
- Only two Indians got a place in this list. Top Indian is PM Modi at the 9th spot and another is Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani at 32nd place in the list.
5. Walmart Buys Flipkart In World's Largest E-Commerce Deal:-
- US-based retail giant Walmart confirmed that it will buy 77% stake in India's largest e-commerce startup Flipkart for $16 billion.
- The acquisition, which is the largest e-commerce deal in the world, will value the homegrown startup at a reported amount of $20.8 billion.
- Notably, SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son had announced the deal by mistake earlier in the day.
- Walmart’s investment in Flipkart will support national initiatives and will bring sustainable benefits to the country.
6. India, Panama sign two agreements:-
- India and Panama have signed two agreements on the exemption of Visas for holders of Diplomatic and Official Passports and in the field of Agriculture.
- These agreements were signed in the presence of Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and President of Panama Juan Carlos Varela Rodrigues in Panama city.
- It was the second leg of Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu’s his first official foreign visit to three countries Guatemala, Panama, and Peru to strengthen India’s relations with them.
7. Government launches Digital India Internship Scheme portal:-
- The Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeITY) has launched the website of Digital India Internship Scheme.
- The portal will facilitate students to apply online for the internship.
- It was launched by Information Technology Minister Ravi Prasad Shankar in New Delhi.
- Provide the opportunity for a student to secure first hand and practical work experience under the guidance of qualified and experienced Supervisor and Mentor.
8. Beijing To Hold World Robot Conference:-
- The 2018 World Robot Conference (WRC) will be held in Beijing, China in August 2018.
- The event will see over 12,000 competing teams and 50,000 participants from more than 10 countries and regions.
- A robot competition will be held during the conference where participants will compete in five categories.
9. FB Appoints Product Exec Chris Daniels To Take Over WhatsApp:-
- Facebook announced that the company's Vice President of Product Chris Daniels will be taking over Whatsapp after Co-founder Jan Koum announced his departure, recently.
- In his new role, former Internet.org VP Daniels will report to Facebook's Chief Product Officer. Daniels has been working with Facebook for more than seven years and previously worked for Microsoft in product management.
10. India slips to 6th spot in biz optimism index:-
- As per Grant Thornton’s quarterly global business survey, India slipped to the 6th position globally in the business optimism index for the first quarter of 2018. The top five nations on the index are Austria, Finland, Indonesia, Netherlands and the US.