Current Affairs of 10 August 2018 following as:-
1. TRAI Chairman new Chairman is RS Sharma:-
The government reappointed Ram Sewak Sharma as Chairman of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) till September 2020 when he turns 65. He was named the TRAI chief in July 2015 for a three-year period.
Sharma, who recently shared his Aadhaar number on Twitter, also served as UIDAI's Director General between 2009-2013 and even wrote the first software for UIDAI for enrolment.
2. Gita Mittal becomes first woman Chief Justice of J&K High Court:-
- In its nine decades-long history, the Jammu and Kashmir have got its first woman Chief Justice as well as the first woman judge.
- Justice Gita Mittal, the acting Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court, has been appointed as the Chief Justice of the J&K High Court. President Ram Kovind on August 3 issued a notification in this regard.
- Gita Mittal is the first women from the field of law and justice to be conferred the Nari Shakti Puraskar, India’s highest civilian honour for women.
3. HRD Ministry launched Project 'SWAYAM':-
- 'Study Webs of Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds' (SWAYAM), aims to provide one integrated platform and portal for online courses.
- This course covers all higher education subjects and skill sector courses.
- The main objective is to ensure that every student in the country has access to the best quality higher education at the affordable cost.
4. PM announces setting up of 12 modern biofuel refineries:-
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced on August 10, 2018, said that 12 modern bio-fuel refineries worth Rs 10,000 crore will be established across the country.
- The establishment of the refineries will provide employment to 1.5 lakh youth.
- The announcement was made while the Prime Minister was addressing an event on the occasion of World Biofuel Day 2018 in New Delhi.
- The Prime Minister further said that the government is targeting 10 per cent ethanol blending in petrol by 2022 and 20 per cent by 2030. He said record production of ethanol has happened in the last four years.
5. NDA candidate Harivansh Singh elected Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman:-
- The BJP-led NDA candidate Harivansh Narayan Singh was elected the Rajya Sabha's Deputy Chairman post, which fell vacant after the retirement of Congress' PJ Kurien on July 1.
- Harivansh got 125 votes, while Congress-led UPA's candidate BK Hariprasad got 105 votes.
- Harivansh Singh is a member of the Janata Dal (United), the BJP's ally in Bihar.
6. Saina Nehwal drops out of top 10 in BWF ranking:-
- Ace Indian shuttlers Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth slipped down from their positions in the latest BWF singles rankings released on August 9, 2018, due to their poor form at the Badminton World Championship.
- While Saina dropped out of top 10 after she slipped down a place to be at the 11th position, Kidambi Srikanth slipped two places to the eighth position.
- P V Sindhu, who clinched her second successive silver medal at the World Championship, remained static at the third spot. H S Prannoy, who also lost in the second round at Nanjing, also remained steady at the 11th place.
7. World Bio-Fuel day 2018 observed globally:-
- The World Bio-Fuel Day was observed across the world on August 10, 2018, with an aim to create awareness about non-fossil-fuels (green fuels).
- The day highlights the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels and highlights the various efforts made by the Government in the biofuel sector.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed a diverse gathering consisting of farmers, scientists, entrepreneurs, students, government officials and legislators in New Delhi to mark the World Biofuel Day 2018.
8. NRC correction forms made available in Assam:-
- The forms for claims, objections and corrections in the latest draft of National Register of Citizens were made available at the NRC Seva Kendras in Assam from August 10, 2018.
- The submission and receipt of claims, objections and corrections forms will start from August 30 and will continue till September 28, 2018.
- While claims and objections can only be submitted at the Seva Kendras, corrections can also be made online. Around 40 lakh names have been reportedly left out from the latest draft.
- The final NRC will be published only after disposal of all claims, objections and corrections.