Current Affairs as of May 1, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Facebook coalition With National Women Commission (NWC) To Launch Digital Literacy Programme for women-
- One of the most famous and giant social networking site called Facebook has partnered with National Women Commision(NWC) to launch a big literary programme called DIGITAL LITERARY PROGRAMME.
- The programme will be launched with the aid of Cyber Peace Foundation (CPF).
2. Yuvraj Singh Awarded 'Most Inspiring Icon Of The Year For Social Welfare':-
- Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh awarded the 'most inspiring icon of the year for Social Welfare' award by the Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival (DIFF) for his exemplary contribution in the field of social welfare.
- Yuvraj was diagnosed with cancer (mediastinal seminoma) shortly after the World Cup.
- After successfully completing his chemotherapy cycle in the United States, Yuvraj returned to India in 2012 and made his international comeback in a Twenty20 match against New Zealand.
3. RBI appoints Sudha as its first Chief Financial Officer:-
- Sudha Balakrishnan was appointed as the first Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- Prior to this appointment, Balakrishnan, a chartered accountant, was serving as the Vice-President of the NSDL, India’s first and largest depository.
- She will be the 12th executive director at RBI and will serve a three-year term.
4. Andhra Pradesh gets separate state symbols post-split:-
- The state of Andhra Pradesh has notified its separate state symbols post-split and creation of Telangana in 2014.
- The announcement of the new symbols was made by the state department of environment, forest, science & technology.
- Symbols of Andhra Pradesh, State Tree Neem, State Bird Rose-ringed Parakeet, State Animal Black Buck, and State Flower Jasmine.
5. Infosys concludes the acquisition of US-based Wongdoody at $75 million:-
- The private company Infosys completed the acquisition of WongDoody Holding Company, a US-based digital creative and consumer insights agency, for a total consideration of up to $75 million.
- Founded in 1993, WongDoody has clients across industries like telecommunications, consumer electronics, healthcare and consumer packaged goods.
6. Zubeen Garg to receive PETA award:-
- India singer Zubeen Garg would be honored with the 'Hero to Animals Award' from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India for his recent appeal to end animal sacrifice at the Kamakhya Temple in Assam.
- Zubeen had expressed his anguish over the ritual of animal sacrifice and appealed for putting an end to the practice while performing at a Bihu function near the temple recently.
- The priests of the Kamakhya Temple had subsequently criticised Zubeen for his statement and demanded an apology from him at the earliest.
7. Former Governor OF Himachal Pradesh Urmila Singh Passes Away:-
- Former Himachal Pradesh governor and Congress leader Urmila Singh died due to prolonged illness at a private hospital in Indore. She was 71.
- Belonging to a family of freedom fighters, Singh was appointed as the governor of Himachal Pradesh in 2010.
- Prior to that, she had served as the chairman of the National Scheduled Tribes Commission (NCTC).
8. Kendrick Lamar receives Pulitzer Prize:-
- Kendrick Lamar recently made history by becoming the first hip-hop artist to win a Pulitzer Prize for Music for his acclaimed 2017 album DAMN during a ceremony at Columbia University in New York City.
- The Pulitzer Prize for Music is one of the seven American Pulitzer Prizes that are annually awarded for Letters, Drama, and Music.