Current Affairs of 1 January 2019 are as follows:-
1. Allahabad Bank, SBI Life join hand for bancassurance partnership:-
- On 31st December 2018, a ‘bancassurance’ pact was signed between State-owned Allahabad Bank and SBI Life Insurance to sell the policies of the insurer from over 3,238 branches of the Allahabad Bank.
- The agreement is considered as one of the largest Bancassurance partnerships in the country.
- The agreement was signed in the presence of Allahabad Bank Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mallikarjuna Rao and SBI Life MD & CEO Sanjeev Nautiyal.
2.Overview Of P.M Narendra Modi’s Day Long Visit To Andaman & Nicobar Island:-
- On December 30, 2018, Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi embarked on a day-long visit to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The PM laid a wreath at the Tsunami Memorial and lit a candle at the Wall of Lost Souls remembering those who lost their lives in 2004 Tsunami.
- Mr. Modi also dedicated the 150 feet high Flag Mast at South Point in Port Blair to commemorate the first unfurling of the Tricolor on Indian soil by Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Port Blair on Dec 30, 1943.
3.Sheikh Hasina Wins Third Term as PM of Bangladesh:-
- On 31st December 2018, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s alliance won Bangladesh’s election with a thumping majority giving her a third straight term.
- The alliance dominated by her Awami League won 287 of the 298 seats for which results have been declared, the commission said. There are 300 constituencies in the country.
- The main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), which boycotted the last poll in 2014, won just 6 seats.
4. Sudhir Bhargava Appointed New Information Chief Commissioner; Government Appoints 4 New Information Commissioners:-
- The Government of India has appointed Sudhir Bhargava, an information commissioner in the Central Information Commission the new chief information commissioner. The government has also appointed four new information commissioners.
- President Ram Nath Kovind has approved the appointment of former bureaucrats Yashwardhan Kumar Sinha, Vanaja N Sarna, Neeraj Kumar Gupta, and Suresh Chandra as the new information commissioners.
- The appointments came weeks after the Supreme Court had asked the Centre to disclose the process of appointment of the members of the Central Information Commission, including details on applicants and search committees. The court had asked the government to maintain transparency in the process.
5.SC judge Justice M B Lokur retired from his duties:-
- On December 30, 2018, the second senior-most Supreme Court judge Justice Madan B Lokur retired.
- He was among the four judges who held the controversial January-12 press conference against the then Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra over the issue of allocation of sensitive cases.
- He also played an active role in the pursuit of judicial reforms — computerization of courts, judicial education, legal aid, and legal services.
- His tenure in the Supreme Court began in June 2012.
6. Jasprit Bumrah becomes top wicket-taker in international cricket in 2018:-
- On 30th December 2018, 25 years old Indian fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah became the highest international wicket-taker of 2018 with 78 wickets after taking 9 wickets in the 3rd Test Match against Australia held in Melbourne Cricket Ground, Australia.
- South African fast bowler Kagiso Rabada ranked 2nd in the list of Highest International wicket taker of 2018 with 77 wickets.
- Indian spin bowler Kuldeep Yadav along with Adeel Rashid and Rashid Khan ranked 3rd with 76 wickets in 2018.
7. Virat Kohli equals Ganguly’s record with 11th away test win as captain:-
- On 30th December 2018, Indian Cricket team captain Virat Kohli equaled Former Indian Captain Sourav Ganguly’s record with 11th away test win as a captain after defeating Australia in the 3rd Test Match held in Melbourne, Australia.
- Virat Kohli became the first Indian captain to retain the Border-Gavaskar trophy on Australian soil. India is leading the series with 2-1.
- The Indian team also achieved the record of highest number of away Test wins after defeating Australia in the 3rd Test Match.
8. Rishabh Pant became 1st ever Indian wicket-keeper to take 20 catches in a Test series:-
- On 30th December 2018, 21 years old Indian wicket-keeper Rishabh Pant became the 1st ever player to take 20 catches in a Test series by surpassing former cricketers Naren Tamhane and Syed Kirmani who had recorded 19 catches in 1954-55 and 1979-80 respectively.
- Pant achieved the feat to take 20 catches in just 3 matches whereas Naren Tamhane and Syed Kimani took 19 catches in 6 and 7 matches respectively.
- Rishabh Pant took 11 catches 6 in first innings and 5 in second innings against Australia in the 3rd Test Match to break the record of fellow wicket-keeper Wriddhiman Saha who took 10 catches in a match.
9. Ishant, Shami, Bumrah breaks a 34-year-old record with 131 wickets in 2018:-
- On 30th December 2018, Indian pace trio of Ishant Sharma, Mohammed Shami, and Jasprit Bumrah broke the 34-year record of highest test wickets in a calendar year to become the most successful pace trio with 131 wickets in 2018.
- The record was previously held by West Indies seamers Joel Garner, Michael Holding and Malcolm Marshall who had taken 130 wickets in 1984.
- South African trio of Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, and Dale Steyn hold the third position with 123 wickets in 2008.
- Current Indian bowling line-up had also created the record of having most wickets in Test in the calendar year for India with a total of 257 wickets in 14 matches.
10. Madhya Pradesh government to create an Adhyatmik Vibhag(spiritual department):-
- On 29th December 2018, The Congress-led Madhya Pradesh Government announced that it is going to create an Adhyatmik Vibhag (spiritual department) by merging several existing department.
- The Congress had promised to form such a department before the last month’s Assembly elections.
- The proposed Adhyatmik Vibhag (Spiritual Department) going to be formed by merging Dharmik Nyas Evam Dharmasv Department (Religious Trust and Endowment Department), Anand Vibhag (Happiness Department) in addition to the Directorate of Religious Trust and Endowment, Madhya Pradesh Teerth Evam Mela Pradhikaran and Rajya Anand Sansthan. Madhya Pradesh had become the first state in the country to create Happiness Department.