Current Affairs of August 01, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Neeraj Chopra Won Gold Medal At Savo Games In Finland:-
- Indian javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra won a gold medal in the Savo Games in Lapinlahti, Finland.
- Neeraj Chopra made a throw of 85.69 meters and won the gold medal.
- Chao-Tsun Cheng of Chinese Taipei made a throw of 82.52m and won a silver medal.
- He is the only Asian to have thrown the javelin to a distance of more than 90m.
2. Mars closest to earth in 15 years:-
- Mars will be closest to Earth in over 15 years at 57.6 million kilometers apart.
- With Mars and Sun on each side, the rare event will witness all three celestial bodies falling in a straight line.
- This will also be the closest when the red planet comes to Earth until October 2020.
- Back in 2003, Earth and Mars were “only” 56 million kilometers apart- the closest it came in over 60000 years.
3. North Korea builds intercontinental ballistic missiles:-
- Washington Post reported that North Korea seems to be building one or two new liquid-fueled intercontinental ballistic missiles at a factory at Sanumdong.
- It also said that the advancement of the missiles is unknown. North Korea has produced the country’s first missiles which are capable of reaching the United States.T
- This is the latest evidence that suggests the ongoing activity at North Korea’s nuclear and missile facilities despite the Singapore Summit in June between the US President Donald Trump and the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
4. Nokia signed world's first big 5G deal worth $3.5 billion:-
- Finland's Nokia will supply T-Mobile, the third-biggest U.S. mobile carrier, with $3.5 billion in next-generation 5G network gear, marking the world's biggest 5G deal so far.
- In February, T-Mobile was working both with Nokia and rival network vendor Ericsson of Sweden to build out 5G networks in 30 U.S. cities during 2018.
5. Deepak Parekh reappointed HDFC director:-
- HDFC chairman Deepak Parekh was reappointed as the non-executive director on the board of Housing Development Finance Corp. Ltd (HDFC), though 22.64% of the shareholders voted against his continuation.
- J.J. Irani and Keki Mistry too got reappointment as directors to HDFC's board with more favorable votes.
6. Scientists discover new shape called scutoid:-
- Scientists have discovered a new shape called scutoid while studying nature’s way of molding tissue to form the skin, cavity linings and the building blocks of organs.
- The shape has five sides on one end and six on the other and a triangular surface on one of its longer edges.
- Scientists have referred to it as a twisted prism kind of shape that allows the tissue to mould around organs.
7. HDFC awarded best performing bank in CLSS schemes:-
- HDFC has been awarded the best performing primary lending institution in Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) for the EWS (Economically Weaker Section) and LIG (Low Income Group) category. The award was given by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- CLSS was introduced in June 2015 under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ( PMAY) for home loans to customers from the EWS as well as LIG.
8. Red Fort at MMC is to be remodeled into Museum:-
- Red Fort, which is at the east of Madras Medical College(MMC) Chennai, is planned to be remodelled into a museum. The building was constructed in 1897, the red brick structure has been classified as a Grade I heritage building by the Justice E. Padmanabhan Committee on heritage structures. The building is of Indo-Saracenic style.
- The State government has sanctioned Rs.1.97 crore for the restoration process of the building. On completion, the building is planned to be remodelled into a museum.
9. Reliance Beats TCS and became India's Most Valued Company:-
- India's richest person Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) beat Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) to become the most valued company in India.
- RIL's market capitalization during the day was Rs7.44 trillion as compared to TCS' Rs7.39 trillion.
- RIL had recently reported its highest ever quarterly net profit of Rs9,459 crore, for the April-June quarter.
10. Women's Hockey World Cup: India beat Italy and entered quarter finals:-
- India stormed into the quarterfinals of the Women's Hockey World Cup beating Italy 3-0 in London.
- In their last playoffs, Indian women produced a stellar performance to ease past Italy. Two penalty corner goals from Neha Goyal and Vandana Katariya in 45th and 55th minute helped India register the emphatic win. India will meet in Ireland.
- Meanwhile, in the second crossover match of the day, hosts England beat Korea 2-0 to set up a quarterfinal date with the Netherlands. The semi-finals will be played on Saturday.