Current Affairs of May 09, 2018, are as follows:-
1.Google Names Nitin Bawankule Head Of India Cloud Business:-
- Google appointed Nitin Bawankule as the country head for its cloud business in India, as the search giant looks at taking a larger share of the booming demand for those services in the country.
- Bawankule has been with Google for six years and was previously head of sales for its e-commerce, retail and classifieds and education business.
- Bawankule will report to Rick Harshman, managing director of Asia Pacific for Google Cloud.
2. Ravi Shankar Prasad launches a website of Digital India Internship Scheme:-
- Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad launched the website of Digital India Internship Scheme in New Delhi on May 9, 2018.
- Under the scheme, 25 interns will be inducted for a period of three months.
- Speaking at the launch, the minister said that the interns will be paid a stipend of Rs 10 thousand per month.
- The Minister appealed to the youth to apply to the internship programme saying that Digital India is important in the scheme of things.
- The Minister also asked officials to train the interns properly and handhold them in such a way that they get the incentive for the future.
3. Third Edition Of UNPCAP Inaugurated In New Delhi:-
- The third edition of the United Nations Peacekeeping Course for African Partners (UNPCAP) was inaugurated in New Delhi.
- The course is being conducted by the Centre for United Nations Peacekeeping in India (CUNPK) in partnership with the United States.
- The main aim of the course is to build and enhance the capacity of the African Troop Contributing Countries to the UN and to further train the trainers from these countries.
4. SC pulls up ASI for failing to take steps to protect Taj Mahal:-
- The Supreme Court on May 9, 2018, came down heavily on the Archeological Survey of India (ASI) for its failure to take appropriate steps to protect and preserve the iconic Taj Mahal.
- The apex court also expressed concern over Taj Mahal being infected by insects and asked the authorities, including the ASI, what steps they have taken to prevent this.
- The two-judge bench comprising Justices M B Lokur and Deepak Gupta said that the situation would not have arisen if the ASI would have done its job.
5. Nikol Pashinyan Becomes Prime Minister Of Armenia:-
- The former Newspaper Editor of Armenia’s is parliament elected Nikol Pashinyan as a new prime minister in a 59-42 vote.
- His election comes after Serzh Sargsyan’s resignation as Prime minister of Armenia. Nikol Pashinyan is the leader of Civil Contract party.
6.NASA, Uber team up to make flying cars a reality:-
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) on May 9, 2018, signed a space act agreement with Uber Technologies to explore concepts and technologies related to Urban Air Mobility (UAM) for future air transportation such as flying cars in populated areas.
- Under the agreement, Uber will share its plans with NASA for implementing the urban aviation rideshare network.
- NASA will use the latest airspace management computer modeling and simulation to assess the impacts of small aircraft from delivery drones to passenger aircraft in crowded environments.
- NASA will use the data supplied by Uber to simulate a small passenger-carrying aircraft as it flies through Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) airspace during peak scheduled air traffic.
7. NITI Aayog ink SoI with Google to help grow AI ecosystem in India:-
- The NITI Aayog signed Statement of Intent (SoI) with search engine giant Google to work together to foster growth for India’s nascent artificial intelligence and Machine language.
- Under the aegis of this program, Google will train and incubate Indian startups in the accelerator program.
- These startups will be mentored and coached by Google.
8. LG sets up a panel on CCTVs operation:-
- The Lt. Governor of Delhi, Anil Baijal formed a high-level committee on May 8, 2018, to come up with a standard operating procedure for installation, operation, and monitoring of CCTV in the city.
- An official statement said that the use of surveillance camera system should not be permitted to become a tool to violate the privacy of individuals which is held to be a fundamental right.
- The committee would be headed by Principal Secretary, Department, Manoj Parida.
9. SC permits courts to refer to Parliamentary Committee reports:-
- The Supreme Court on May 9, 2018, ruled that the courts can look into Parliamentary Standing Committee reports and take them into record while deciding on an issue.
- The decision was taken by a five-judge constitution bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices AK Sikri, AM Khanwilkar, DY Chandrachud and Ashok Bhushan.
- The constitution bench unanimously held that placing reliance on Parliamentary Committee Reports in court proceedings does not violate the parliamentary privileges.
10. USA Withdraws From Iran Nuclear Deal:-
- Current Affairs: President Donald Trump announced US withdrawal from the 2015 landmark nuclear deal with Iran.
- Mr. DonaldTrump signed a fresh set of sanctions against Iran and warned countries against any cooperation with Tehran on its controversial nuclear weapons programme.
- According to the President, the deal gave Iran millions in cash and did not prevent it from acquiring nuclear weapons.
- The historic nuclear deal was reached in Vienna in July 2015 between Iran and the P5 (the five permanent members of the UN Security Council) along with Germany and the European Union.