Current Affairs June 09, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Anupam Kher to be given Lifetime Achievement honor at upcoming IIFA:-
- Veteran film actor Anupam Kher will be given the prestigious Lifetime Achievement honor at the upcoming International Indian Film Academy awards ceremony in Bangkok.
- He will be presented with the honor on June 24 at the 19th edition of IIFA.
- The 63-year-old actor has worked in over 500 films spanning across languages along with projects both in India and abroad for over three decades.
2. Indian Coast Guard interceptor ship commissioned:-
- The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) commissioned an interceptor boat- ICGS C-439 at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) C-439 was commissioned by Additional Director General K Natarajan, Coast Guard Commander of Western Seaboard.
- The ceremony was attended by senior dignitaries from central, state government and the armed forces.
- The ICGS C-439 is designed by the L&T Marine & Ship Design Division, an in-house facility of Larsen & Toubro Limited.
- The vessel is 27.4 m long with a displacement of 136 tonnes. It can achieve a maximum speed of 45 knots.
3. Keshari Nath Tripathi to hold additional charge as Tripura Governor:-
- President Ram Nath Kovind has given West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi additional charge of Tripura Governor, during the absence of Tathagata Roy who is on leave.
4. Saudi Arabia starts issuing driving licenses to women, ending the decades-long ban:-
- Saudi Arabia's General Traffic Directorate has issued first driving licenses to 10 women, about ten months after a royal decree was issued ending the decades-long ban on driving by women.
- The move will allow women across the Gulf kingdom to drive cars on their own from June 24, 2018.
- Saudi Arabia was the only country in the world where women were not allowed to drive.
- The General Traffic Department has sought to open and operate driving schools dedicated to women.
5. Highway Tunnel Dedicates To Nation In North Sikkim:-
- Minister of State for Defence, Dr, Subhash Bhamre dedicated a highway tunnel at Theng near Chungthang in north Sikkim to the nation.
- The tunnel will benefit the tourism and rapidly propel the growth of the state. The double-lane tunnel stretching about 600 meters has been constructed by the Border Roads Organisation at cost of over 42 crore rupees.
6. Sports Ministry Approves Upward Revision Of Pension To Meritorious Sportspersons:-
- Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Rajyavardhan Rathore approved the upward revision of pension to meritorious sportspersons. Under the revision, the rate of pension has been doubled off the existing rate of pension on winning medals in international sports events.
- Following the upward revision of pension, the medallist at the Olympic/Para-Olympic Games will get Rs.20,000 while a gold medallist at World Cup/World Championship in Olympic and Asian Games disciplines will get Rs.16,000.
7. Centre to start measuring green GDP of States:-
- The government will begin a five-year exercise to compute district-level data of the country’s environmental wealth.
- The results of this study will eventually be used to calculate every State’s ‘green’ Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- The metric will help in calculating compensation to be paid during land acquisition, calculation of funds required for climate mitigation and so on.
8. Reserve Bank of India Amends Gold Monetisation Scheme To Make It More Attractive:-
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) made changes in the Gold Monetisation Scheme (GMS) to make it more attractive.
- The revamping of the scheme is aimed at enabling people to open a hassle-free gold deposit account.
- The short-term deposits should be treated as bank's on-balance sheet liability. These deposits will be made with the designated banks for a short period of 1-3 years (with a facility of rollover). Deposits can also be allowed for broken periods (e.g. 1 year 3 months; 2 years 4 months 5 days; etc.).