Current Affairs of 09 August 2018 following as:-
1. Government E-Marketplace completes 2 Years:-
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM), the National Public Procurement Portal, turned 2 years old on August 9, 2018.
- It was launched on August 9, 201,6 with an aim to create an open, transparent and efficient procurement platform for government.
- Till now, GeM has grossed over Rs 10,000 Crores in Gross Merchandise Value (GMV) through more than 6.16 Lac's transactions on the platform.
- GeM has made over 4.2 lakh products available on its platform through a network of over 1.3 lakh sellers and service providers.
2. Nation observes the 76th anniversary of Quit India movement:-
- The Quit movement observes Gawalia Tank in Mumbai. The day is observed as August Kranti Day every year. Prime Minister Narendra Modi also remembered the great women and men who took part in the Quit India Movement.
3. RBI approved to transfer 50,000 crore surplus to government:-
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will transfer ₹50,000 crore of its surplus money to the government, for the year ended June 30, 2018.
- The RBI follows July-June accounting year. The RBI had transferred a surplus of ₹30,659 crore to the government for the fiscal ended June 2017.
- During the tenure of former governor Raghuram Rajan, RBI transferred over ₹65,800 crore to the government for two consecutive years.
4. S Gopakumar appointed as Director and General Manager In UIIC:-
- Gopakumar was serving GIC Housing Finance Ltd as its Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- United India Insurance Company (wholly owned by the Government of India) is the 2nd Largest General Insurance company with a premium of Rs.16000+ Crore in India.
- The Gross Domestic Premium for the Financial Year 2017-18 is above Rs.17300 crores.
5. The government introduced four GST amendment Bills:-
- The government introduced four Bills to amend the Goods and Services Tax (GST) laws in order to make the return forms simpler and raise the turnover threshold for availing composition scheme to Rs. 1.5 crore.
- The four amendment Bills are the Central GST (Amendment) Bill, the Integrated GST (Amendment) Bill, the GST (Compensation to States) Amendment Bill and the Union Territory GST (Amendment) Bill. Initially, the Bill was aimed to help the MSME sector and small traders.
6. Suresh Prabhu launches ‘Niryat Mitra’ mobile app:-
- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu on August 8, 2018, launched the ‘Niryat Mitra’ mobile App in New Delhi.
- The app has been developed by the Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO), the largest exporters’ organization of the country.
- Niryat Mitra provides the wide range of information required to undertake international trade from the policy provisions for export and import, applicable GST rate, available export incentives, tariff and market access requirements.
- The app works internally to map the ITC HS code of other countries with that of India and provides all the required data without the users bothering about the HS code of any country.
7. Jal Bachao, Video Banao, Puraskar Pao contest:-
- The Ministry of Water Resources, River Development, and Ganga Rejuvenation announced the winners for the first fortnight of the Jal Bachao, Video Banao, Puraskar Pao contest that was launched on July 10, 2018.
- Shreshth Sahu from Varanasi, Satish Mewada from Bhopal and Gopal Kumar Prajapati from Bokaro have secured the first, second and third positions respectively for the period of July 10-24, 2018.
- The winners were given prize amount of Rs 25000, Rs 15000 and Rs 10000 respectively.
- Jal Bachao, Video Banao, Puraskar Pao contest was launched by the Ministry in collaboration with the MyGov portal of the Government of India with the objective of spreading awareness about water conservation.
8. Nikhil Nanda has been appointed as the Chairman and MD of the Escorts company:-
- Escorts, Farm and construction equipment maker, unanimously appointed Nikhil Nanda as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the company.
- He succeeded his late father Rajan Nanda. Nikhil is an alumnus of Wharton Business School, Philadelphia and has been a key member of the company's board since 1997.
- Nikhil said Escorts will create products and solutions that will transform agriculture by empowering farmers with mechanized, precision-based autonomous technology and partner nation to build smart and safe infrastructure.
9. Rashida Tlaib set to become 1st Muslim woman in US Congress:-
- She (42-year-old) is the daughter of Palestinian immigrants and won a Democratic primary election to represent Michigan's 13thdistrict, securing 33.6 percent of the vote. Tlaib is set to replace John Conyers.
- She served in the Michigan state house from 2009 to 2014 and was also the first Muslim woman ever elected to the state’s legislature.
10. Entry Fee To Taj Mahal and Other Historical Monuments Increased:-
- Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) raised the entry fee to visit Taj Mahal from ₹1000 to ₹1100 for foreign tourists and from ₹40 to ₹50 for domestic tourists.
- Apart from this, visitors from the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries will now pay Rs. 540, including Rs. 500 as toll tax to visit the monument.
- Earlier, the Archaeological Survey of India increased the entry fee for its protected monuments in 2016.