Current Affairs 09 & 10 December 2018 are as follows:-
1. Vanessa Ponce de Leon crowned as Miss World:-
- Miss Mexico Vanessa Ponce de Leon, 26, a Mexican model and volunteer, has been crowned Miss World at a glitzy event on the tropical Chinese island of Hainan.
- She holds a degree in international business, volunteers for “Migrantes en el Camino” and is on the board of directors of a rehab center for girls. She was crowned as the 68th Miss World by last year’s winner, Manushi Chhillar of India, in the coastal city of Sanya.
- First, runner-up was Thailand’s Nicolene Pichapa Limsnukan, a 20-year-old studying business administration. Miss Belarus Maria Vasilevich, Miss Jamaica Khadijah Robinson and Miss Uganda Quinn Abenakyo were among the final five.
- It is the eighth time the Miss World final has been held in Sanya, which first hosted the pageant in 2003.
2. Urjit Patel resigns as RBI Governor:-
- Urjit Patel on December 10, 2018, resigned as the Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) with immediate effect, citing personal reasons. Urjit R Patel was appointed as the 24th Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on August 20, 2016, and took charge on September 4, 2016, for a tenure of three years. He succeeded Raghuram Rajan.
- He was previously serving as the Deputy Governor of RBI. He mainly looked after monetary policy, economic policy research, statistics and information management, deposit insurance, communication and Right to Information.
3. Allahabad University to be renamed as Prayagraj State University:-
- In October 2018, the Uttar Pradesh government had officially renamed Allahabad as Prayagraj.
- A formal proposal has now been sent to the state's Governor seeking his approval to rename Allahabad University as Prayagraj State University.
4. Tamil Nadu launches toll-free helpline ‘181’ for domestic violence victims:-
- The Tamil Nadu government on December 9, 2018, launched a 24-hour toll-free helpline ‘181’ for women facing domestic violence and sexual harassment.
- The initiative was launched by the state’s Chief Minister K Palaniswami.
- The move will enable women facing domestic violence and sexual harassment at home or workplaces to contact the toll-free helpline to get emergency assistance such as police help, legal aid or medical services including an ambulance.
5. Railways launched new Buddhist Circuit Tourist Train:-
- Indian Railways flagged off the new Buddhist Circuit Tourist Train from New Delhi's Safdarjung Railway Station.
- The 12-coach train consists of a mini library, foot massager, touch-less taps and individual lockers, among others.
- The train will cover destinations associated with Lord Buddha's life, including Bodh Gaya, Varanasi, Lumbini, and will end with a tour of the Taj Mahal.
6. Salman, Anurag Kashyap win at Asian Academy Creative Awards:-
- Salman Khan won the Best Entertainment Host for 'Bigg Boss', and Anurag Kashyap won the Best Direction [Fiction] for season one of 'Sacred Games' at the inaugural Asian Academy Creative Awards in Singapore.
- Other winners from India included Discovery Communications India, which got Best Comedy Programme for 'Queens Of Comedy' and Cartoon Network India's 'Lampert' won Best 2D Animated Programme.
7. Human Rights Day 2018 observed across the world:-
- The Human Rights Day 2016 was observed across the world on December 10, 2018, to commemorate the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- The Theme of the 2018 Human Rights Day was ‘Let's stand up for equality, justice, and human dignity’.
- The day aims at promoting and raising awareness of the two Covenants of Human Rights Day.
- They are International Covenant on Economic Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR) and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).
8. Sixteenth International Anti-Corruption Day celebrated on December 9, 2018:-
- The day has been celebrated since the passage of the United Nations Convention Against Corruption on 31 October 2003 to raise public awareness for anti-corruption.
- UN along with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) organized a global campaign called- “Corruption: An impediment to Sustainable Development Goals”- for spreading the awareness on corruption.
9. Shalindra Kumar is appointed as CEO of Jammu and Kashmir:-
- Shalindra Kumar will take over as the Chief Electoral Officer of Jammu and Kashmir on 12th December 2018.
- He will be replacing the incumbent Shaleen Kabra. His office will take effect a day after the completion of the ongoing nine-phased panchayat polls in the State.
- The panchayat elections in J&K is being held after a gap of seven years. The elections in the State began on November 17 and will culminate on December 11.
10. Donald Trump Names Heather Nauert As US Ambassador To United Nation:-
- US President Donald Trump nominated State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert as the US Ambassador to the United Nations.
- The former Fox News presenter’s appointment to the UN role will have to be approved by the US Senate. Nauert will replace Nikki Haley, who will be leaving the post by the end of 2018.