Current Affairs of May 08, 2018, are as follows:-
1.ISRO develops atomic clock for indigenous navigation satellites:-
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has developed an atomic clock that will be used in navigation satellites to measure precise location data.
- The space agency has been importing the atomic clocks for its navigation satellites from the European aerospace manufacturer Astrium.
- All seven navigation satellites, which have been launched earlier as part of the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) or Navigation with Indian Constellation (NaVIC), have three imported Rubidium atomic clocks each.
- The atomic clock has been developed by Ahmedabad-based Space Applications Centre (SAC) and is currently undergoing a series of qualification tests.
- With the development of the atomic clock, ISRO has become one of the few space organizations in the world that are capable to develop this highly sophisticated technology.
2. Google launches Android Things for IoT platform:-
- Alphabet Inc’s Google launched Android Things (codenamed Brillo), a variant of the Android operating system for the Internet of Things (IoT) devices such as smart home appliances and other smart machines.
- Its main goal is to enable IoT machines developers to be built faster, cheaper and more secure.
- It is Android-based embedded operating system (OS) platform that is aimed to be used with low-power and memory constrained Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
- It will support Bluetooth Low Energy and Wi-Fi.
3. Reserve Bank of India announced Rs10,000 crore bond purchases:-
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced that it would buy Rs. 10,000 crore ($1.50 billion) of government bonds via open market operation (OMO), after failing to sell all the debt it had offered to bidders.
4. SCO Secretary-General In India To Hold Talks With Union Ministers:-
- Secretary-General of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Rashid Kutbiddinovitch Alimov arrived in New Delhi to hold talks with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and other Union ministers. Alimov is scheduled to hold talks on a wide array of matters.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will hold a bilateral meeting with Alimov in Delhi.
- SCO is an intergovernmental international organization aimed at strengthening mutual trust and neighborliness among the member states.
5. Government to set up additional 100 One Stop Centres for women safety:-
- The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) approved setting up of additional 100 One Stop Centres (OSCs) for women affected by violence.
- These OSCs will be set up in Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Mizoram, Nagaland, Odisha, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
- The initiative will be funded by Nirbhaya Fund.
6. Eminent Odia lyricist passes away:-
- Eminent Odia lyricist Gurukrushna Goswami passed away in Odisha.
- Goswami was associated with the Odia music industry for over six decades.
- He was a scriptwriter, a lyricist, and a music director.
- Goswami had received the Best Lyricist award in 1996, Bhakta Kabi Salabeg award and Odisha Sangeet Natak Akademi (OSNA) Award in the year 2000.
7. India To Host 15th Asia Media Summit:-
- India would be hosting the 15th Asia Media Summit (AMS-2018) in New Delhi.
- The theme of this summit is “Telling our Stories Asia and More”.
- The summit mainly aims to provide a unique opportunity to the broadcasters in Asia to share their thoughts on broadcasting and information.
- The annual summit will be organized by Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) in collaboration with its partners and international organizations.
8. India, Guatemala agree to support each other for non-permanent membership of UNSC:-
- India and Guatemala have agreed to support each other’s candidature for Non-Permanent Membership in the United Nations Security Council.
- Guatemala will support India’s candidature for UNSC membership for 2021-22 while India will do so for Guatemala for 2031-32.
- The decision was one of the many outcomes of the extensive high-level talks that took place between Indian Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales, Vice President Dr, Jateth Cabrera Franco and Parliamentary Speaker Alvaro Arzu Escobar in capital Guatemala City on May 7, 2018.
9. Russian President chooses to retain Dmitry Medvedev as Prime Minister:-
- Russian President Vladimir Putin chose to retain Dmitry Medvedev as Prime Minister for his new term.
- Putin submitted the proposal for premiership to the lower house of parliament after he was sworn in for his 4th term yesterday.
- Medvedev has been serving as Russia’s Prime Minister since 2012 when Putin started his 3rd term as president.
10. First Apex Conference For CEOs Of Smart Cities In Bhopal Inaugurated:-
- Mr. Hardeep Puri, Minister of State (I/C) for Housing & Urban Affairs inaugurated the 'First Apex Conference for the CEOs of Smart Cities' in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- Since its launch in June 2015, the Smart Cities Mission (SCM), has been one of the most transformational urban missions.
- The two-day conference is being organized for providing a platform for cross-learning and knowledge sharing among the Smart City CEOs.
- The conference will enable the CEOs to learn from the experiences of all city leaders to understand in greater details both successes and failures.