Current Affairs of June 08, 2018 are as follows:-
1. World Oceans Day 2018 observed across the world:-
- The World Oceans Day was observed across the world on June 8, 2018, to highlight the major role of the oceans in everyday life.
- The action focus for the 2018 World Oceans Day was ‘preventing plastic pollution and encouraging solutions for a healthy ocean’.
- The agenda also coincided with the theme of 2018 World Environment Day –‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.
- Plastic pollution is causing tremendous harm to the marine resources: Around 80 percent of all pollution in the ocean comes from people on land.
- There are 8 million tonnes of plastic ends up in the ocean every year, causing damage to wildlife, fisheries, and tourism.
- The Plastic pollution costs the lives of 1 million seabirds and 100000 marine mammals per year.
2. Centre to start measuring green GDP of States:-
- The government will begin a five-year exercise to compute district-level data of the country’s environmental wealth.
- The results of this study will eventually be used to calculate every State’s ‘green’ Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- The metric will help in calculating compensation to be paid during land acquisition, calculation of funds required for climate mitigation and so on.
3. IIT Bombay Displaces IIT Delhi As Best-Ranked Indian University:-
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT-B), Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, and Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IIT-D) are in the top 200 in QS World University Rankings 2019.
- The number of Indian universities in the top 1,000 increased from 20 to 24.
- IIT-Bombay is now the top institute in the country rising to 17 positions from 2018 to 162, displacing IIT-Delhi which has remained at 172.
- The Indian Institute of Science too has overtaken IIT-Delhi and is now ranked 170.
4. Air India seeks Rs 1000 crore bank loan to meet its urgent working capital requirement:-
- National Carrier Air India sought proposals for short-term loans worth one thousand crore rupees to meet its urgent working capital requirements.
- The loan will be drawn in June in one or more tranches. The airline has requested banks to submit their financial bids by 13th of this month.
- The tenure of the loan will be one year (renewable) from the date of availing short-term loans.
5. Punjab Government launches Business First Portal:-
- In a major step to give a big push towards the ease of doing business in Punjab, the state government launched a "Business First Portal".
- It was unveiled by Industry Minister Sunder Sham Arora in Jalandhar yesterday.
- Addressing the industrialists the online portal will facilitate the industrialists for Regulatory Clearances and Fiscal Approvals, real-time tracking of applications at a common platform.
- He said that the Punjab government has decided to accelerate economic growth by providing liberal incentives to the entrepreneurs under new Industrial Policy, which would be implemented soon.
6. Prime Minister Narendra Modi to embark on a 2-day visit to China to attend SCO Summit:-
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will leave for a two-day visit to China to attend the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation- SCO Summit. Briefing media in New Delhi, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said, regional issues will be discussed during the summit.
- He will hold bilateral talks with the Chinese President Xi Jinping followed by the summit event on Sunday.
- The objective of the SCO summit is to further deepen the existing relationship between the member countries.
- India’s focus will be on strengthening cooperation to fight terrorism, improving connectivity among member countries and bringing peace and stability in the region.
7. FDI Inflows To India Fall By $4 Billion Last Year: UN Report:-
- Foreign Direct Investment to India decreased to 40 billion dollars last year from 44 billion dollars in 2016 while outflows from India, the main source of investment in South Asia, more than doubled, according to a new trade report by the UN.
- According to the World Investment Report, 2018 by the UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) global foreign direct investment flows fell by 23 percent in 2017, to USD 1.43 trillion from USD 1.87 trillion in 2016.