Current Affairs of 08 December 2018 are as follows:-
1. Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador was sworn in as 58th President of Mexico:-
- Veteran leftist leader Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador was sworn in as the 58th President of Mexico on December 1, 2018, in the presence a huge crowd that included world leaders including US Vice President Mike Pence, Ivanka Trump and King Felipe VI of Spain.
- Lopez Obrador, who took office following his landslide victory in the July 1 presidential elections, vowed to bring an end to corruption, chronic poverty and extreme violence that has plagued the country for more than a decade.
- The 65-year-old would hold the post of President of Mexico for a term of six years.
2. IIT Delhi launched the Centre for Technology and Policing:-
- The Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology-Delhi (IIIT-D), New Delhi launched the Centre for Technology and Policing. It aimed at strengthening the Delhi Police by providing the latest technology in the field of crime prevention and control.
- Lieutenant-Governor of Delhi Anil Baijal inaugurated the Centre. The research activities at the Centre will help the police control criminal activities.
- It will assist the police in criminal identification, law and order management, cyber policing, traffic management, and combating terrorist activities using Artificial Intelligence, social media analysis, biometrics, image processing, big data, and network forensics.
- It also plans to train police personnel to acquire knowledge in using the latest tools and techniques to aid other aspects of policing such as traffic management, disaster management, urban crime, and terrorism.
3. Gangotri, Yamunotri included under PRASAD scheme:-
- The Centre has included Gangotri and Yamunotri in Uttarakhand, Amarkantak in Madhya Pradesh and Parasnath in Jharkhand under a central scheme to develop pilgrimage and heritage destinations in the country.
- With the new additions, the number of sites under the Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive (PRASAD) launched by the ministry in 2014-15 has now become 41 in 25 states.
- A total 24 projects in 15 states have been approved with an estimated expenditure of Rs 727.16 crore and a total amount of Rs 331.15 crore has been released for these projects under the scheme since its inception till date.
4. Atul Sahai appointed CMD of New India Assurance:-
- Atul Sahai has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the country’s largest general insurance company New India Assurance for a five year period.
- The post had been lying vacant since July 2018 after former chairman and managing director G Srinivasan retired.
5. IndiGo becomes the first Indian carrier to have 200 aircraft in its fleet:-
- Four new aircraft have joined the fleet, including two Airbus A320 CEO (VT-IKA and VT-IKB) and two A320 neo (VT IZK AND VT-IZI), taking the fleet count to 200 and number of deliveries to 226. IndiGo currently offers over 1,200 flights to 63 domestic destinations, which include 49 domestic and 14 international ones.
- The airline, founded by billionaires Rahul Bhatia and Rakesh Gangwal, started operations in August 2006 with a Delhi-Imphal flight.
6. Mukhyamantri Tirth Yatra Yojana: Delhi Government launches Free Pilgrimage Scheme for senior citizens:-
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched the 'Mukhyamantri Tirth Yatra Yojana' which offers free travel packages for senior citizens from Delhi to five religious circuits. 1,100 senior citizens from every constituency of Delhi will be able to avail this facility at one go.
- Under this free pilgrimage scheme, a Delhi resident above 60 years will be eligible to take free pilgrimage along with his or her spouse. 1100 senior citizens from each Assembly Constituency would now undertake free pilgrimage every year, the expenses for which will be borne by the government.
7. NGT directed DDA to submit a factual report:-
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) directed the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) to submit a factual report on the city residents’ alleging encroachment on government land in Delhi’s Haiderpur.
- A Bench headed by NGT chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel directed the DDA to look into and take necessary steps in the matter, and furnish a factual and action is taken a report to this tribunal.
- The DDA has been asked to send the report to the tribunal by January 4.
8. Kiren Rijiju inaugurates All India Police Shooting Competition 2018 at Manesar:-
- Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju inaugurated the 19th All India Police (AIPDM) Shooting Competition-2018 at Manesar, Gurugram in Haryana. The competition will continue till 11th of this month.
- More than 750 participants of 31 teams of State Police Forces and Central Armed Police Forces are participating in the event.