Current Affairs of July 07, 2018, are as follows:-
1. YES Bank gets SEBI nod to launch mutual fund business:-
- India's fourth largest private sector lender, YES Bank received final regulatory approval from the Securities & Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to start mutual fund business, named "YES Asset Management India Limited (YAMIL)".
- YES Bank Director & chief executive officer:- Rana Kapoor.
2. International Day of Cooperatives celebrated on the 7th of July:-
- The theme for the 2018 International Day of Co-operatives is "sustainable consumption and production of goods and services".
- On December 16, 1992, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed in resolution 47/90 "the first Saturday of July 1995 to be International Day of Cooperatives, marking the centenary of the establishment of the International Cooperative Alliance".
- July 7 is also celebrated as Global Forgiveness Day, Chocolate Day.
3. Studies found alternate cereals can save water:-
- According to the analysis of U.S. based Earth Institute, Columbia University and Indian School of Business, if alternative cereals such as maize, sorghum, and millet are used instead of rice and wheat, the demand for irrigation water can be reduced by 33%. It could also improve nutrient availability to consumers.
- India is mandated to provide 5 kg of foodgrains per person per month at subsidized prices of Rs.3/2/1 per kg for rice/wheat/coarse grains.
- The researchers said that this alternative cereal production can help distribute nutrient production across the country and reduce the impact of a single local climate shock to national grain production.
4. US think tank announces India US Fellows Exchange programme:-
- New America, a prominent American think tank has announced a fellows exchange programme aimed at enabling India and the US to better harness technology to improve the lives of their citizens.
- Funded by the Ford Foundation, the programme by New America will bring fellows from India to the United States, and fellows from the United States to India to devise novel technology-based solutions to policy challenges.
- The aim of this program is to enable both countries to better harness technology to improve the lives of their citizens.
5. Nawaz Sharif sentenced to 10 years in jail:-
- Former Pakistan PM Mr. Sharif was disqualified as Prime Minister in July 2017 by the Supreme Court over the purchase of high-end properties in London, worth over £200 million.
- His daughter Maryam Nawaz was sentenced to seven years in jail and son-in-law captain (retired) Safdar awarded one-year jail term.
- The court also imposed a fine of £8 million on Mr. Sharif and £2 million on Ms. Maryam.
6. SC judge AK Goel appointed as New Chairman of National Green Tribunal:-
- Supreme Court judge Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel was appointed as the Chairman of the National Green Tribunal (NGT) for a period of 5 years.
- He was the first Supreme Court judge from Haryana. He replaces the acting chairperson Justice Jawad Rahim.
- Justice Goel was appointed Supreme Court judge in July 2014.
- The NGT was established on October 18, 2010, under the National Green Tribunal Act for effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources.
7. World Zoonoses Day observed on 6th July:-
- Zoonosis is derived from the Greek words zoon 'animal' and nosos 'ailment'. It describes the process whereby an infectious disease is transmitted between species, from animals to humans.
- Approximately 150 zoonotic diseases are known to exist.
- World Zoonoses Day is observed on July 6 every year to create awareness among the people for zoonotic diseases.
8. AAI to set up Civil Aviation Research Organization at Hyderabad:-
- State-run Airports Authority of India (AAI) will set up Civil Aviation Research Organization (CARO) at Begumpet Airport, Hyderabad.
- AAI has allocated Rs 1,200 crore for this project that will be spent over 12 years on research and development.
- Its aim is to solve growing air traffic and to enhance safety, capacity, and efficiency of aircraft operations in India.
9. Global Bank listed 25 countries as High-risk jurisdictions:-
- Global banks acting as custodians for foreign funds which comprise the largest group of investors in the Indian stock market have tagged 25 countries including China, UAE, Cyprus and Mauritius as 'high-risk jurisdictions'.
- Large investors and beneficial owners of these funds entering India through these high-risk jurisdictions will face close scrutiny while non-resident Indians and persons of Indian origin will run into new hurdles in participating in funds set up in these countries for trading on Indian exchanges.
- SEBI registered foreign portfolio funds invest in India through 56 countries. Of these, 25 are now considered ‘high risk’.
10. Nepal, India to jointly promote tourism:-
- The 2nd meeting of the joint working group on tourism cooperation between India and Nepal concluded in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Both sides agreed to jointly promote Buddhist and Ramayana circuits and Adventure tourism.
- The meeting also decided to set up an industry-led India Nepal Tourism Forum.