Current Affairs of 07 December 2018 are as follows:-
1. India opposes a move to declare Gilgit-Baltistan as the fifth province:-
- India has voiced strong opposition to Pakistan's move to declare Gilgit-Baltistan as its fifth province.
- MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said India's stated position on Gilgit Baltistan has been very clear and consistent.
- The entire state of Jammu and Kashmir has been and shall remain part of India.
- Any attempt by Pakistan to change the legal status has no basis whatsoever.
- India has called upon Pakistan to vacate all occupied territory.
2. Kipchoge and Ibarguen won 'IAAF Athletes of the Year' awards:-
- World marathon record holder Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya and 2018 triple and long jump Diamond League champion Caterine Ibarguen of Colombia are the 2018 IAAF Male and Female Athletes of the Year. Both are first-time winners of the award.
- Kipchoge is just the second Kenyan ever to win the award after David Rudisha in 2010.
3. HDFC ERGO Announces Corporate Agency Tie-up with Federal Bank:-
- HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company, India’s leading private sector general insurance company, and Federal Bank announced tie-up for the distribution of HDFC ERGO’s range of non-life insurance offerings to the customers of the Bank through its network branches.
- This Corporate Agency Tie-up offers comprehensive Insurance solutions to customers both digitally and physically, which benefits the customers in many ways.
- Federal Bank’s deep-rooted presence in Southern markets allows the Company to strengthen its foothold within the region.
4. Kandhamal Haldi of Odisha to get GI tag:-
- Odisha’s Kandhamal Haldi (turmeric) will soon get Geographical Indications (GI) tag.
- Its registration was moved by Kandhamal Apex Spices Association for Marketing and was accepted under sub-section (1) of Section 13 of Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999.
- Kandhamal Haldi is famous for its healing properties. It is the main cash crop of tribal people in Kandhamal.
- Apart from domestic use, it is also used for cosmetic and medicinal purposes.
- GI tag is name or sign used on certain products which correspond to a specific geographical location or origin.
5. Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper nominated for Golden Globe awards:-
- Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper have earned nominations at the 2019 Golden Globe awards for their performances in the film 'A Star is Born'. Gaga was nominated alongside Nicole Kidman and Melissa McCarthy in the 'Best Actress - Drama' category.
- Cooper was nominated in the 'Best Actor - Drama' category along with 'Bohemian Rhapsody' star Rami Malek, among others.
6. UN launches new framework to combat international terrorism:-
- The UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres launched a new framework titled ‘UN Global Counter-Terrorism Coordination Compact’ to combat international terrorism and coordinate efforts across the peace and security, humanitarian, human rights and sustainable development sectors.
- The framework is an agreement between the UN chief, 36 organizational entities, the International Criminal Police Organisation (INTERPOL) and the World Customs Organisation to better serve the needs of member states when it comes to tackling the scourge of international terrorism.
- The new framework has been introduced keeping in mind the need to ensure full respect for international human rights standards and rule of law in countering terrorism.
7. TN government approved Rs.7.60 crore for clearing fallen trees:-
- The Tamil Nadu State government has approved Rs.7.60 crore for procuring heavy duty chainsaws, winch machines, shredders, and wood splitter machines to clear trees that were felled by Cyclone Gaja in delta districts.
- The government would be procuring 500 chainsaws and 20 winches, 20 wood splitters, 20 shredder-cum-pulverizers and 20 wood chipper machines with trolley and rent them to farmers at nominal rates or lent to them to clear their farmlands.
- The proposal is to pulverize leaves and small branches and convert them into organic manure, drag trunks out of fields and place them on the boundary so that they can be chopped later. Used the wood chipper machine, the trunks can be pulverized.
8. Infosys opened its new hub at Hartford, Connecticut:-
- Infosys opened its new technology and innovation hub in Hartford, Connecticut. It has hired more than 7,000 American workers in the last 18 months.
- The Hartford hub will help Infosys work more closely with its clients in the region and serve as the global hub for Infosys’ InsurTech and HealthTech efforts.
- It is expected that labs at the Hartford hub will bring together expertise in business and technologies such as blockchain, extended reality and cognitive capabilities with techniques like design thinking, agile and DevOps.
9. PM addresses Jagran Forum on 75th-anniversary Celebration of Dainik Jagran:-
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the Jagran Forum on the occasion of the 75th-anniversary celebrations of Dainik Jagran newspaper in Taj Palace Hotel, New Delhi.
- Addressing the august gathering, the Prime Minister specially complimented the hawkers who distribute the newspaper every day.
- The Prime Minister applauded Dainik Jagran for playing a key role in generating awareness, and in the rebuilding of the nation.
- Dainik Jagran strengthened various Government movements and initiatives through its newspaper and digital platforms such as Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao; Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan; Ayushman Bharat Yojana; PM Awaas Yojana; Ujjwala; Saubhagya; etc.
10. Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody nominated at 96th Golden Globe Awards:-
- Chadwick Boseman starter 'Black Panther' and Rami Malek's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' are among the films nominated in the 'Best Film - Drama' category at the 2019 Golden Globe Awards.
- Comedy-drama film 'Vice' has landed six nominations, including one in the 'Best Film - Musical or Comedy' category. 'Crazy Rich Asians' and 'Mary Poppins Returns' have also been nominated in this category.