Current Affairs of 07 August 2018 are as follows:-
1. Ms.Nooyi resigned her position as CEO of PepsiCo:-
- Indra Krishnamurthy Nooyi, 62, resigned her position as CEO of PepsiCo. She has been leading the company since 2006. She studied at the Madras Christian College.
- She went to the Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata, before leaving for the U.S. in 1980 for a second master’s degree at the Yale School of Management.
- Ramon Laguarta, 54, will succeed Ms.Nooyi as CEO. Her office will resume from October 3. Ms.Nooyi will remain Chairman until early 2019 to ensure a smooth and seamless transition.
2. India became 3 rd Asian nation to get STA 1 status from US:-
- India has become the third Asian nation after Japan and South Korea, 37th overall, and first South Asian nation to get the Strategic Trade Authorization-1 (STA - 1) status from the US.
- This status paves way for high-technology product sales to New Delhi, particularly in civil space and defense sectors.
- The US made an exception for India, which is yet to become a member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG).
- India so far was listed in the STA-2 category along with Albania, Hong Kong, Israel, Malta, Singapore, South Africa and Taiwan.
3. ISRO postpones the launch of Chandrayaan-2 mission:-
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) postponed the launch of Chandrayaan 2 Mission, India’s second mission to the moon, to January 2019.
- This was the second time that the mission has been postponed. The ambitious mission was earlier planned to be launched in April 2018 and was later fixed for October 2019.
- With this delay, India may lose the fourth position in the world for soft-landing on the moon to Israel as it too planning to launch moon mission in December 2018.
- Chandrayaan-2 is India’s most challenging and India’s second mission to Moon.
4. China launches Exascale Supercomputer Prototype:-
- China recently launched a prototype exascale computing machine, the next-generation supercomputer, according to the developers.
- The Sunway exascale computer prototype was jointly developed by the National Research Center of Parallel Computer Engineering and Technology (NRCPC), National Supercomputing Center, China's Shandong Province and the Pilot National Laboratory for Marine Science and Technology (Qingdao).
- The NRCPC led the team that had earlier developed Sunway TaihuLight, crowned the world's fastest computer two years in a row at both the 2016 and 2017 International Supercomputing Conferences.
5. Startup India Launches Academia Alliance Programme:-
- Startup India is a unique mentorship opportunity between academic scholars and startups to fulfill the Indian Government’s mission and to promote the spirit of entrepreneurship in the country.
- The main aim is to build the bridge between the academia and industry to implement the third pillar on which the Startup India Action Plan is based - Industry-Academia Partnerships and Incubation.
6. Uttarakhand 1st state to give ID cards to Gau Rakshaks:-
- Gau rakshaks are protectors of cows who will now be known as gau sanrakshaks - which means 'guardians of cows'.
- The initiative has been taken to distinguish genuine gau rakshaks from ruffians who resort to violence in the name of cow protection.
- Genuine gau rakshaks from six of the total 13 districts in Uttarakhand have been identified and will be issued identity cards.
7. Kolkata man tops IQ world list with the score of 148:-
- Amit Sahai, a 43-year-old senior professional from Kolkata has topped the prestigious Intelligence Quotient (IQ) World list along with two other Americans with a score of 148.
- He has a background in international sales of software, IT, ITes services and high-end audio and engineering products.
- He is also a member of the International High IQ Society.
8. ASEAN Foreign Ministers Meet Held In Singapore:-
- Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong chaired the 51st Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Foreign Ministers meeting in Singapore.
- The main aim of the meeting is to meet the need for ASEAN countries and also trade union setup between the United States and its long-time trading partners, including China, the EU, and Canada.