Current Affairs 06 May 2018 are as follows:-
1. Tunisia prepares for first free municipal elections:-
- Millions of Tunisians will head to the polls on May 6, 2018, for their first free municipal elections.
- The move is seen as another milestone on the road to democracy in the nation, which was the birthplace of the Arab Spring.
- The polls come seven years after mass protests toppled the regime of Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.
- Around five million voters are eligible to vote, with about 57,000 candidates standing across 350 municipalities.
- Tunisia is seen as a rare success story of the Arab Spring compared to other nations shaken by similar uprisings such as Libya and Yemen, which are still deep in turmoil.
2.GST Council approves converting GSTN into a government-owned entity:-
- The 27th meeting of GST Council chaired by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has approved the proposal of convert GST Network GSTN) into government entity from current private entity status by taking over stakes held by private entities.
- The council has agreed to buy out the stake of private entities in GSTN.
- Following the move, the central government will own 50% in GSTN and the remaining will be collectively held by state governments.
3. California Surpasses the UK To Become World's 5th Largest Economy:-
- US state California's economy surpassed that of the UK to become the world’s fifth largest, according to new federal data released.
- With a GDP of $2.7 trillion, California is now only behind the US, China, Japan, and Germany.
- The UK and India are next on the list, followed by France, Brazil, and Italy respectively.
- Despite having a population of only 40 million compared with the UK’s 65 million people, California’s gross domestic product of $2.7tn has overtaken the UK’s $2.6tn.
4. Shooter Shahzar Rizvi becomes world no.1 in 10m air pistol:-
- World record holder Shahzar Rizvi has risen to the top of the world rankings in men's 10m air pistol in the latest International ShootingSportst Federation (ISSF) charts.
- With 1654 rating points, Rizvi shot to the top spot ahead of Russia’s Artem Chernousov (1046) and Japan’s Tomoyuki Matsuda (803).
- The other Indian in the top 10 is Jitu Rai, who is placed sixth, while Om Prakash Mitharval is placed 12th.
- The Indian Air Force man had won a gold in the first ISSF World Cup stage in Guadalajara, Mexico, in March 2018 with a world record score of 242.3 in the finals.
5. Yogi govt plans India's largest startup incubation hub in Lucknow:-
- The yogi Adityanath government in Uttar Pradesh has planned to develop the country’s largest startup ecosystem on the outskirt of Lucknow.
The state has already identified about 40 acres of land near Lucknow Airport for the proposed startup incubation ecosystem comprising data centre, business processes outsourcing (BPO), development centre, training centres etc.
In the first phase, the Software Technology Parks of India (STPI), a central government agency, is likely to invest about Rs 200 million to develop the main complex of the startup hub spread over 2 acres.
The department has even launched a dedicated startup helpline for the benefit of greenhorns looking to creating the next unicorns in the country.
6. Gujarat government will focus on advanced skills: CM Vijay Rupani:-
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani state government will take all possible steps in developing world-class ecosystems for Skill based programmes.
- Addressing the small gathering at the launch of a Special edition of Gujarat Rojgar Samachar, the Chief Minister advised official to focus on self-employment in order to encourage budding entrepreneurs.
- Informing about the recently launched Chief Minister Apprentice Yojna (CMAY), Rupani hoped that under the ambitious scheme of state government, Youth will be able to adopt modern day skills required by industry.
7. Social Justice Ministry to organise ‘Cochlear Implant Awareness Programme’:-
- The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment would be organising a ‘Cochlear Implant Awareness Programme’ on May 6, 2018, at Huda Convention Centre in Faridabad, Haryana.
- The programme is being organised by DEPwD in association with Indian Red Cross Society and Sarvodaya Hospital & Research Centre. The Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment, Krishan Pal Gurjar will be the Chief Guest in the programme.
8.JK High Court orders state govt to appoint 22 judicial magistrates to fast track juvenile cases:-
- The Jammu and Kashmir High Court directed the state government to appoint additional 22 judicial magistrates required for setting up of juvenile justice boards in all districts.
- Notably, the appointment of 22 additional judicial magistrates will help in lessening the time consumption in the cases related to a juvenile.
- A division bench comprising of justice Mohammad Yaqoob Mir and Justice Ali Mohammad Magrey, directed the government to modify rules for appointment of Judicial magistrates for juvenile justice boards (JJBs) in the state to create 22 additional posts under the Jammu and Kashmir Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act of 2013 and the Rules of 2014.