Current Affairs of July 06, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Name change of Sports Authority of India’s areas:-
- Union Ministers of Youth Affairs and Sports Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore announced that Sports Authority of India (SAI), will now be known as ‘Sports India’.
- SAI is a successor organization of the IXth Asian Games held in New Delhi in 1982.
- It aims at the joint preparation of long-term sports-specific development plans by National Sports governing bodies and federations of India (NSFs).
2. ISROs first 'pad abort' test conducted successfully:-
- The PAT (Pad Abort Test) was conducted at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- It marks the first step to qualify India’s indigenous Crew Escape System technology for launching astronauts into space.
- The Crew Escape System is an emergency accident avoidance measure designed to quickly get astronauts and their spacecraft away from the launch vehicle if a malfunction occurs during the initial stage of the launch.
- A prior critical experiment was carried out on December 18, 2014, when the CARE (Crew Module Atmospheric Re-entry Experiment) capsule successfully demonstrated that it could survive atmospheric re-entry.
3. RBI grants the license to Bank of China:-
- The Reserve Bank of India has issued the license to Bank of China to launch operations in India.
- With this, the Bank of China becomes the second Chinese bank after the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China to have a branch in India.
- Bank of China is one of the four biggest state-owned commercial banks in China. Bank of China opened its first branch in South Asia in Pakistan’s Karachi in 2017.
4. Turkey to sell four corvette warships to Pakistan:-
- Turkey signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to build four corvettes for Pakistan under the MiLGEM project in May 2017.
- Two of the Corvettes will be built in Istanbul while the other two in Pakistan's Karachi.
- Two corvettes will join the Pakistan Navy in 2023 and the remaining two in 2024.
5. European Parliament rejects EU's controversial copyright law:-
- European Parliament lawmakers on July 5, 2018, rejected a highly controversial European Union copyright law proposal that was proposed by Beatles legend Paul McCartney against the creators of Wikipedia.
- The draft law failed to get the required support with 318 parliamentary legislators voting against the measure, 278 in favor and 31 abstaining from the vote. The proposal was firmly resisted by major US tech giants as well as advocates of Internet freedom.
6. Madhya Pradesh government launches subsidized power scheme named Sambal:-
- Under Sambal Yojana, the Below Poverty Line (BPL) families would be provided electricity at a cost of Rs 200 per month. The scheme is expected to benefit 88 lakh families in the state.
7. Election Commission of India launched Mobile App cVIGIL:-
- The Chief Election Commissioner Shri. O.P. Rawat, along with the Election Commissioners Shri Sunil Arora and Shri Ashok Lavasa launched a mobile app, called ‘Cvigil,’ which stands for “citizens’ vigil”, for citizens to report any violation during elections.
- The app will be operational only where elections are announced. The app was tested on a pilot basis in Bengaluru.
- The service is now being extended Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, and Mizoram for the upcoming assembly polls.
8. Cabinet approved renaming Agartala airport:-
- The Union Cabinet approved the proposal of renaming Agartala Airport in Tripura as Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore Airport, Agartala.
- The decision comes in the demand of both the people of Tripura as well as Government of Tripura for paying tribute to Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore.
- Agartala Airport was constructed in 1942 on the land donated by Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore. Due to his initiative, an aerodrome at Agartala was constructed and it has now evolved into the second busiest airport in North East providing crucial air connectivity to Tripura.
9. Punjab orders mandatory dope test:-
- Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh has ordered a mandatory dope test for all government employees, including police personnel, from the time of their recruitment through every stage of their service.
- Drug screening will be mandatory in cases of promotions, and also be a part of annual medical examinations.
- The state’s Chief Secretary has been asked to issue an order.
10. Gujarat CM launched 'Poshan Abhiyan' to eradicate malnutrition:-
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani launched 'Poshan Abhiyan' - a statewide mission to eradicate malnutrition among children by providing them nutritious food through Anganwadi centers.
- He also launched 'Purna' project to eliminate malnutrition among girls in the age group of 14 to 18, at an allocated cost of Rs 270 crore.
- Full form of PURNA - Prevention of Under Nutrition and Reduction of Nutritional Anaemia among Adolescent Girls.
- Nationwide Poshan Mission was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Rajasthan on March 8 this year.