Current Affairs of 06 December 2018 are as follows:-
1. Noted agriculturalist Jayaraman passes away:-
- Noted agriculturalist Jayaraman, who pioneered the protection and propagation of indigenous paddy varieties in Tamil Nadu, passed away in Chennai on December 6, 2018.
- Hailing from Thiruthuraipoondi, Jayaraman has been credited with documenting and protecting more than 170 paddy varieties.
- His diligent work in the field of protecting the gene prototypes of indigenous paddy varieties won him the National Award in 2015 and a state award in 2011.
2. PM to inaugurate India's longest railroad bridge on December 25:-
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Bogibeel Bridge, India's longest rail-cum-road bridge, falling in the eastern part of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh on December 25.
- This project was first cleared by former Prime Minister HD Deve Gowda in 1997.
- The bridge spans over the Brahmaputra river in the northeastern state of Assam between Dhemaji district and Dibrugarh district.
3. High Court bars release of 'Ram Janmabhoomi':-
- The Bombay High Court barred the release of Ram Janmabhoomi movie unless it is certified by the Censor Board and directed that the trailer is removed from YouTube.
- The movie was scheduled for release on December 6, the day Babri Masjid was demolished in 1992.
- The movie allegedly shows polarisation of Hindus and Muslims with the backdrop of the Babri Masjid demolition.
- A Division Bench of Justices B.P. Dharmadhikari and S.V. Kotwal was hearing a petition filed by Azhar Tamboli, a social worker.
- The petitioner is aggrieved by the poster and trailer of the film that ‘hurt religious sentiments’.
4. Salman Khan tops Forbes' richest Indian celebrity list for a third time:-
- Salman Khan has been named the highest-earning celebrity in India for the third time in a row by Forbes, with earnings of ₹253.25 crore.
- The second spot was captured by Indian cricket team skipper Virat Kohli, with Rs 228.09 crore to his name, to become the first sportsperson to reach the position.
- Akshay Kumar came third on the Forbes India Celebrity 100 2018 with Rs 185 crore, followed by Deepika.
- The fifth spot went to former Indian cricket team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni who earned Rs 101.77 crore during 2018.
5. Siddaramaiah announced that Cabinet expansion on 22nd December:-
- Coordination committee chairman Siddaramaiah has announced that the Karnataka Cabinet expansion will take place on December 22.
- This announcement comes amidst conjecture that there was dissent brewing within Congress party members in the state, who have expressed their displeasure at not being given Cabinet berths in the current government.
- Congress leader Siddaramaiah decided on the date after much consultation with Congress party president Rahul Gandhi and JD(S) supremo HD Deve Gowda in a meeting. Siddaramaiah stated that six members from the Congress and two from JD(S) would be given cabinet positions, adding that MLAs would be appointed as corporation heads.
6. Sahitya Akademi Awards 2018 announced in 24 languages:-
- India's national academy of letters, Sahitya Akademi on December 6, 201,8 announced the annual ‘Sahitya Akademi Awards 2018’, recognising the literary works of 24 writers in 24 different Indian languages.
- Seven books of poetry, six novels, six short stories, three of literary criticism and two of essays won the Sahitya Akademi Awards 2018.
- To name a few, this year’s winners include Sanjib Chattopadhyay for Bengali, Anees Salim for English, Sharifa Vijliwala for her essays in Gujarati, Chitra Mudgal for Hindi, and S Ramesan Nair for his poetry in Malayalam.
7. First India-ASEAN InnoTech Summit Held in New Delhi:-
- The first India-ASEAN InnoTech Summit was held in New Delhi. It was organized by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) in association with the Department of Science & Technology (DST) and Ministry of External Affairs.
8. PM Modi most followed world leader on Instagram:-
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi emerged as the most popular global leader on social media platform Instagram with 14.8 million followers.
- According to a list published by online platform twiplomacy, Modi is followed by Indonesian President Joko Widodo with 12.2 million followers.
- With 10 million followers, US President Donald Trump is at the third position on the photo-sharing platform.
- The picture of newly married Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli and his wife, actress Anushka Sharma meeting the prime minister has become the most liked picture posted by any world leader. The picture received 18,34,707 hearts since all three have a combined following of 55 million on Instagram.
9. Paisabazaar.com launches India's first chance of approval feature for lending products:-
- India’s largest online marketplace for financial products, Paisabazaar.com launched a first of its kind feature Chance of Approval, that will help loan applicants choose their most-suited lender on its platform in India.
- Chance of Approval’, is an advanced predictive algorithm that has been created by Paisabazaar.com using the last four years of lending data. Globally a few leading players, like Credit Karma in the US, have developed similar features to improve the acceptance rate on their platforms but this is the first such initiative in India.
10. ISRO's heaviest satellite GSAT-11 launched, will increase internet speed:-
- France-based Arianespace successfully launched GSAT-11, the heaviest satellite built by ISRO from its port in French Guiana.
- Weighing 5,854 kg, the GSAT-11 will boost broadband speeds and provide high bandwidth connectivity with up to 14 gigabits per second (GBPS) data transfer speed.
- The satellite’s designed lifetime is more than 15 years.