Current Affairs of 06 August 2018 are as follows:-
1. China successfully tests first hypersonic aircraft:-
- China on August 6, 2018, announced that it has successfully tested its first cutting-edge hypersonic aircraft, which could carry nuclear warheads and penetrate any current generation anti-missile defense systems.
- The Xingkong-2 or Starry Sky-2 was launched in a target range located in Northwest China on August 3.
- Launched in a rocket, China's waverider was released in the air after about 10 minutes. It flew independently, made large-angle turning maneuvers, and landed in the targeted area as planned.
- The hypersonic aircraft was designed by the CAAA in collaboration with the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation.
2. ICC Rankings for Test Batsmen topped by Virat Kohli:-
- Virat Kohli scored 149 and 51 in India's 31-run defeat at Edgbaston and went up by 31 points which helped him as the top-ranked batsman.
- Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin gained 14 points following his four for 62 and three for 59 in the first Test.
3. In Hong Kong Open TT Swastika Ghosh wins a bronze medal:-
- Young Indian paddler Swastika Ghosh claimed a bronze medal in the junior girls' doubles along with Singapore's Jingyi Zhou in the 2018 Hang Seng Hong Kong Junior and Cadet Open that concluded last week.
- The pair defeated their Taipei opponents Pei-Ling Su and Yu-Chin Tsai 3-1 in the round of 16 before overcoming the Chinese duo of Binyue Zhang and Yi Chen with a similar score in the quarter-finals.
- The combination of Li Lin Jassy Tan of Singapore and Ruei Ling Wen of Taipei, however, proved too strong for Swastika and her Singapore partner in the semi-finals and the latter lost 2-3 last Saturday to lose the chance to reach the gold medal round.
4. Defence Minister Launched Defence India Startup Challenge:-
- The India Startup challenge was launched with a vision to build an ecosystem of innovation and entrepreneurship in the defense sector and make India self-reliant for meeting defense requirements.
- The defense ministry also signed a MoU with 5 incubators. IIM Ahmedabad, IIT Mumbai, Forge IIT Madras, and T hub who will work in tandem to provide solutions for defense requirements in Airforce, Navy and for Army.
5. UP's Mughalsarai Junction renamed as Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Junction:-
- The iconic Mughalsarai Railway Junction of Uttar Pradesh was on August 5, 2018, renamed as Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Junction Railway station.
- The Mughalsarai station got a new name after Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik gave his assent to the proposal in June 2018 following the in-principle approval by the Union Government in 2017 to the state government’s proposal.
- RSS ideologue Deen Dayal Upadhyaya was found dead in mysterious circumstances near the Mughalsarai station in February 1968. Mughalsarai is also the birthplace of former prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri.
6. Gaganjeet Bhullar won European Tour Title:-
- Gaganjeet Bhullar golf player won around 9 Asian Tour titles. He became the most successful Indian player on Asian Tour. He defeated Anthony Quayle of Australia.
7. Government introduces a bill in LS to amend Juvenile Justice Act:-
- The Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Amendment Bill, 2018, which seeks to empower district magistrates to pass orders for the adoption of children to reduce the time taken for issuing such directions, was introduced in the Lok Sabha on August 6, 2018.
- As of July 20 this year, as many as 629 cases relating to the passing of adoption orders are pending in various courts.
- The bill seeks to amend the Juvenile Justice Act to empower district magistrates to issue orders for the purpose of adoption.
8. Japan marks 73rd anniversary of atomic bombing of Hiroshima:-
- Japan marked the 73rd anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima on August 6, 2018.
- Tens of thousands of people gathered to honor the victims at an annual memorial ceremony held in the city. They included representatives from 85 countries, as well as survivors of the bombing.
- A minute of silence was observed at 8:15 AM local time, the exact time the bomb was dropped by the US on August 6, 1945.
- A ceremony was held at the Peace Memorial Park, where Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said that Japan's responsibility is to bridge the gap between nuclear and non-nuclear nations.