Current Affairs of July 05, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Russia will build two nuclear power units in China:-
- Russia's state nuclear power corporation Rosatom and China's National Energy Administration signed a deal to build the two 1,200-megawatt units at the Tianwan nuclear power plant.
- These two nuclear power plants are expected to be operational by 2026 and 2027 respectively.
- Russia has built 35 nuclear power units around the world under intergovernmental agreements.
- Russia and China are also working together on One Belt, One Road initiative.
- Trade between Moscow and Beijing has grown 31 percent this year and is projected to reach the $100 billion target.
2. DPCC notifies a list of fuels permissible for industrial use:-
- The Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) on July 4, 2018, notified a list of fuels permissible for industrial use within the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi, a move which has been hailed by the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE).
- All existing industrial units and commercial establishments who are currently using fuels that are not approved under the notification have been asked to switch over to the approved fuels within 90 days. All other fuels will be deemed unapproved and thus, will be disallowed for use in NCT of Delhi.
3. Union Cabinet cleared DNA profiling Bill:-
- The Union Cabinet has cleared 'The DNA Technology (Use and Application) Regulation Bill, 2018’. This will allow the law enforcement agencies to collect DNA samples, create DNA profiles and special databanks for forensic-criminal investigations.
- The databanks can only store information related to criminal investigations and the DNA details of suspects will be deleted.
- The aim of that bill is to set in place an institutional mechanism to collect and deploy DNA technologies to identify persons based on samples collected from crime scenes or for identifying missing persons.
4. Bolivia to build museum under Sacred lake, Titicaca:-
- Bolivia plans to build an underwater museum in its sacred Lake Titicaca. It is because thousands of priceless artifacts discovered at the bottom of the lake.
- Titicaca spans an area of 8,500 square kilometers and straddles the border between Bolivia and Peru. At more than 3,800 meters altitude, it is the world's highest body of freshwater that is navigable by large vessels.
- The museum will cost $10 million to build, in partnership with Belgian development agency Enable. Belgium and UNESCO would contribute $2 million to the project. The museum will be situated close to the town of San Pedro de Tiquina, around 100 kilometers from the capital La Paz.
5. CCEA approves proposal to expand scope of Higher Education Financing Agency:-
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on July 4, 2018, approved the proposal for expanding the scope of Higher Education Financing Agency (HEFA) by tasking it to mobilise Rs 1,00,000 crore for Revitalizing Infrastructure and Systems in Education (RISE) by 2022.
The proposal also called for enhancing the capital base of the Higher Education Financing Agency to Rs 10,000 crore6.
6. India's first taxi ambulance services launched in Delhi:-
- Union Minister Nitin Gadkari flagged off taxi ambulance services, offered by a Gurugram-based startup Wagon Cab.
- The drivers will approach accident victims as soon as they are notified and will get an additional ₹500 for every victim that they tend to.
7. Growing India Denmark relationship:-
- Taksoe-Jensen, the Danish ambassador said that it is the role of honorary consulates of Denmark in India to build the relationship between the two countries.
- Vijay Sankar, Deputy Chairman of Sanmar is appointed as the Honorary Consul of the Royal Danish consulate in Chennai.
- The Danish embassy and the Danish National Archives department is hoping to digitize almost 70 meters of Danish archival records that are in Tamil Nadu with funding from private enterprises in Denmark.
8. Trump appoints Indian American as head of US Drug Enforcement Agency:-
- Uttam Dhillon, an Indian-American lawyer has been appointed as the Acting Director of the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) that combats the smuggling and use of narcotics in the US.
- Dhillon last served as the Deputy Counsel and Deputy Assistant to President Donald Trump.
- Dhillon, who holds a law degree from the University of California, became the first Director of the Office of Counternarcotics Enforcement in 2006.
9. Miss Spain Angela Ponce 1st transgender model at Miss Universe:-
- Angela Ponce has become the first-ever transgender woman to be crowned Miss Universe Spain.
- She will also compete in the Miss Universe 2018 pageant in the Philippines in December 2018.
- Transgender contestants were first allowed to compete in Miss Universe in 2012.
10. Google aims to add 40 million WiFi users in India by 2019:-
- Google's public WiFi project aims to capture 40 million new users in India by 2019.
- According to Google and research firm Analysys Mason's study, this move will result in around $20 billion rises in India's GDP.
- Google has currently partnered with RailTel and Indian Railways to offer public Wi-Fi in railway stations, covering 400 stations with about 7.6 million monthly active Wi-Fi users.