Current Affairs of 05 December 2018 are as follows:-
1. Electric vehicles launched at Nandi Hills:-
- Three electric vehicles have been launched at the hilltop of Nandi Hills, Karnataka.
- These electric vehicles are being maintained by a private company in association with the State government. It will take visitors on a 2 km tour of the historic sites as well as sight-seeing of flora and fauna of the area. Currently, the department runs four electric vehicles in Lalbagh Botanical gardens.
- The response has encouraged the department to attempt this in other tourist spots.
2. The US re-establishes Permanent Diplomatic Mission in Somalia for the first time in 27 years:-
- The United States re-established a "permanent diplomatic presence" in Somalia for the first time in 27 years.
- The department spokeswoman Heather Nauert called the new move another step forward in formalising US diplomatic engagement in Mogadishu.
- The United States has been handling its diplomatic mission to Somalia from the capital of neighbouring Kenya since 2013.
- The US diplomatic staff used to travel to Somalia to conduct official business.
3. Saavn Media launched JioSaavn:-
- Saavn Media Private Limited, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), launched JioSaavn.
- This launch signals the official integration of JioMusic and Saavn. It will be available across all app stores. RIL acquired Saavn Media in March and the implied valuation of the combined entity stands at over $1 billion.
- JioSaavn combines the streaming media expertise of Saavn with Jio’s digital services ecosystem. The Saavn co-founders Rishi Malhotra, Paramdeep Singh, and Vinodh Bhat, would continue their leadership roles.
4. Statue of Unity among top tourist destinations:-
- The182-meter tall ‘Statue of Unity’ dedicated to Sardar Patel in Gujarat's Narmada district is becoming one of the country's top tourist spots.
- The statue is now attracting about 30000 people every day.
- The world's tallest statue is located on Sadhu Bet islet on the Sardar Sarovar Dam in Kevadiya.
- It was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 31, 2018.
- The United States Consul-General Edgard Kagan has also visited the memorial.
- The statue is a tribute to Sardar Patel's role in getting 562 princely states to accede to the Indian Union after Independence.
5. World Soil Day is observed on 5 December:-
- World Soil Day is celebrated annually on the 5th of December at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) headquarters in Rome, the regional offices and through national and local events.
- StopSoilPollution is the objective of this World Soil Day on 5 December and throughout the year.
6. Ada Hegerberg won the first ever women's Ballon d'Or:-
- Olympique Lyonnais striker Ada Hegerberg became the first woman to be awarded a Ballon d’Or at a grand ceremony in Paris.
- The 23-year-old was announced the first ever winner of the Women’s Ballon d’Or by former France international player David Ginola before she gave an inspiring speech encouraging more girls to play football.
- She has won four leagues and three Champions League titles with Lyon.
7. Delhi Minister Imran Hussain Gets PETA Hero to Animals Award:-
- Delhi Minister of Food Supplies, Environment and Forest and Elections Imran Hussain was awarded by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)-India for banning the Chinese Manjha, or the glass-coated kite strings, across Delhi.
- The award, named ‘Hero to Animals,’ was also given to three other individuals and companies that have pushed animal rights forward. Other winners of Hero to Animals Award 2018.
8. Conference on a partnership between EU and India for Cultural Heritage Conservation begins:-
- The two-day conference on a partnership between the European Union and India commenced in New Delhi for Cultural Heritage Conservation.
- Over 30 leading experts are deliberating on issues being faced in cultural heritage conservation and exploring innovative solutions to tackle challenges of climate change and urbanization.
- The Joint Secretary of Ministry of Culture, Nirupama Kotru said, there is an urgent need to re-look at the current state of preservation, practices, and expertise in heritage conservation.
9. A government of India appointed Ajay Narayan Jha as new Finance Secretary:-
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi led Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has cleared Jha's appointment to the post after incumbent Hasmukh Adhia, a 1981-batch Gujarat cadre officer of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), retired on November 30.
- After Jha retires on 31 January, economic affairs secretary Subhash Chandra Garg, a 1983 batch Rajasthan cadre IAS officer, who will become the senior most secretary in the ministry is likely to take charge as the finance secretary.
10. Gautam Gambhir announces retirement from all forms of cricket:-
- Indian cricketer Gautam Gambhir represented India in 58 Tests, 147 ODIs and 37 T20Is.
- He made his debut in 2003 and last played for India in a Test against England in Rajkot in 2016. He retires with nine Test centuries and 11 ODI centuries to his name.
- He played key roles in India's title victories in the 2007 World T20 and the 2011 World Cup, top-scoring for India with 75 and 97 in the respective finals.