Current Affairs of May 04, 2018, are described as:-
1.Justin Langer appointed as Head Coach Of Australian Cricket Team:-
- Former Australian cricketer Justin Langer appointed as Australian cricket team's head coach for all three formats.
- Langer replaces Darren Lehmann, who had stepped down after Australia's tour of South Africa amid the ball-tampering controversy.
- The 47-year-old, who represented Australia in 105 Tests, will begin his four-year term ahead of limited-overs series against England in June.
2.India doing extremely well on electrification: World Bank:-
- The World Bank on May 4, 2018, said that India is doing extremely well on electrification with nearly 85 percent of the country's population having access to electricity.
- In the latest report, the World Bank released that India provided electricity to 30 million people each year between 2010 and 2016.
3.PM Modi most liked leader in world on Facebook:-
- According to the study “World Leaders on Facebook” released by Burson Cohn & Wolfe PM Modi is the most ‘liked’ world leader on Facebook. With 43.2 million likes, Prime Minister Modi is almost double of USA President Donald Trump, who has 23.1 Million likes.
- Modi also has the second highest number of interactions and interaction rate behind Trump.
4.India slips to 11th spot in AT Kearney FDI Confidence Index 2018:-
- Global consultant AT Kearney on May 04, 2018, released the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Confidence Index 2018, an annual survey which tracks the impact of political, economic and regulatory changes on the FDI preferences of Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) and Chief Financial Officers (CFOs) of the country.
- The United States (US) topped the index, followed by Canada at 2nd and Germany at the 3rd place.
- The index ranked India at the 11th spot, three places down from the previous year. In the year 2017, India was ranked 8th. It is the first time since 2015 that India has been pushed out of the top 10.
- India remains among the top investment destinations due to its market size and rapid economic growth. As per the report, Investors, based in the US, ranking India the highest in terms of intention to invest.
5.Vibrant North East 2018 Held In Guwahati:-
- The ‘Vibrant North East 2018', an event in which people would be made aware of central government’s schemes and programmes, was held in Guwahati, Assam. Players from the agriculture, food processing, consumer affairs, civil supply, drinking water and sanitation sectors participated in the three-day event.
The main purpose of the event is to disseminate information about the schemes, grants, and projects of the Central Government to ensure that they are implemented as envisaged officially.
The event is organized by Delhi-based NGO, Centre for Agriculture and Rural Development (CARD).
6.Malayalam novelist Pushpanath passes away:-
- Noted detective novelist” Kottayam Pushpanath, who expanded the world of horror fiction in Malayalam literature, died due to age-related ailments. He was 80.
7.National workshop for creating disaster risk reduction database concludes:-
- The National Workshop on Data Requirements for Disaster Risk Reduction Database successfully concluded in New Delhi on May 4, 2018.
- The main aim of the two-day workshop was to develop a uniform and credible national-level disaster database.
- It also aimed to develop a consensus among those concerned on disasters and develop standardised systems for data collection, updating and validation to ensure accuracy and quality.
- During the session, the objectives of setting up such a database as well as the challenges in maintaining and utilising it were discussed.
8.India Rises To 5th Spot In World's Top Five Defense Spenders:-
- India surpassed France to become one of the world's five largest military spenders, Swedish arms watchdog Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) Report.
- India spent $63.9 billion on its military in 2017, an increase of 5.5% compared with 2016.
9.ICICI Bank names Radhakrishnan Nair As Independent Director:-
- ICICI Bank's board appointed Radhakrishnan Nair as an additional (independent) director of the bank for five years.
- The appointment is subject to the approval of shareholders. Mr Nair is also an independent director of three subsidiaries of the bank - ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company, ICICI Prudential Trust, and ICICI Securities Primary Dealership.
10.Nobel Prize in Literature will not be awarded this year:-
- The Swedish Academy on May 4, 2018, announced that the Nobel Prize in Literature will be not awarded this year following the sex-abuse allegations and other issues within its ranks that have stained the body’s reputation.
- The decision was taken in view of the reduced public confidence in the Academy. However, the 2018 prize will be given in 2019.
11.Mohamed Salah Named Writers Footballer Of The Year:-
- Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah named the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year.
- Manchester City midfielder Kevin de Bruyne came second with Tottenham striker Harry Kane third.Salah, 25, has scored 31 goals in 34 league appearances for Liverpool this season.
12.CBDT inks 200th Unilateral Advance Pricing Agreement:-
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) entered into 200th Unilateral Advance Pricing Agreement (UAPA) in April 2018.
- With the signing of this UAPA, the total number of APAs entered into by CBDT so far has gone up to 220, which include 20 Bilateral APAs.
- APA scheme launched by Government endeavours to provide certainty to taxpayers in a domain of transfer pricing by specifying methods of pricing and setting prices of international transactions in advance.
- The scheme gives certainty to MNCs that agree on certain principles in a valuation of their cross-border transactions.
- The scheme aims to strengthen Government’s resolve of fostering non-adversarial tax regime.