Current Affairs of June 04, 2018 are as follows:-
1. World Bicycle Day is observed on 3rd June:-
- On June 3, 2018, the first official World Bicycle Day was celebrated
- Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu flagged off a mega cycling event in New Delhi.
New Delhi is one of the three cities in the world where major events are being organized to mark the day. Berlin & New York are the other two places.
The day is celebrated to raise awareness about the multiple societal benefits of using the bicycle for transport and leisure. The day, which is celebrated for the first time this year, was approved on 12 April 2018 as an official United Nations day.
2. RBI organizes ‘Financial Literacy Week’:-
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is organizing ‘Financial Literacy Week’ across the nation from June 4 to June 8, 2018.
The week will focus on four consumer protection messages like 'know your liability' for unauthorized electronic banking transaction and good practices for a safe digital banking experience.
Among various messages, the customers will be told through banners and posters that in case of an unauthorized digital transaction if the bank is informed within 3 days, the liability of the account holder is zero.
Further, the resolution of the complaint is to be done by the bank concerned within a period not exceeding 90 days from the date of receipt of the complaint.
Besides, banks have also been asked to create awareness about Banking Ombudsman scheme of the RBI.
3. India Ranked 113th On Childhood Index:-
- According to a Save the Children’s "End of Childhood Index 2018”, India ranks 113 among 175 countries with regards to where childhood is threatened as a result of poor health, malnutrition, exclusion from education, child labor, and child marriage.
- The child marriages in India have come down to 15.2% from 21.1% in 2017. India jumped three positions up from 116 last year with improvement in India’s overall score by 14 points from 754 to 768 on a scale of 1000.
4. The first cargo of Russian LNG to arrive in Gujarat:-
- India will receive the first-ever cargo of liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Russia on June 4, 2018, as New Delhi diversifies import basket to meet its vast energy needs.
- The shipload of LNG will be brought by state-owned gas utility GAIL India Ltd from Gazprom, a Russian supplier at Petronet LNG Ltd's import terminal in Dahej, Gujarat.
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan will receive the first consignment at the terminal.
- The beginning of supplies from Russia comes within weeks of India importing its first ever LNG cargo from the US under a long-term import deal.
5. Microsoft is now third most Valuable Firm globally:-
- Microsoft has surpassed Alphabet, the parent company of Google, in the market capitalization for the first time in three years, becoming the third most valuable firm after Apple and Amazon globally.
- Microsoft had a market cap of $753 billion at the close of trading, almost $14 billion ahead of Alphabet.
6. 49th Conference of Governors begins in Delhi:-
- The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the two-day Conference of Governors on June 4, 2018, at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- This is the 49th such Conference to be held in Rashtrapati Bhavan and the second to be presided over by President Kovind.
The conference will involve discussions on important agendas including clean India mission, internal security, higher education and skill development.
It will also involve discussions on important thematic issues in various sessions.
7. Haryana government to give paternity leave to all male government employees:-
- Haryana Government has decided to give 15 days paternity leave to all male government employees to take care of the new-born child.
- Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar said in Rohtak that the state government has also decided to raise the strength of women in police force from existing 11 percent to 20 percent.
- He said, due to court cases about 13,000 recruitments are held up in education, power, and other departments.
8. India Successfully Test-Fires SFDR Propulsion Based Missile:-
- Making a breakthrough in missile technology, India successfully carried out the flight test of Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet (SFDR) propulsion based missile, according to the Defence Ministry.
- The technology demonstrator flight test was conducted from the Launch Centre-III of Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Odisha.
- All the radars, electro-optical tracking stations, and telemetry stations tracked the vehicle all through the course of the trajectory.
9. Senior Journalist Leela Menon passes away:-
- Noted journalist and chief editor of Malayalam daily 'Janmabhoomi', Leela Menon, passed away in Kochi on June 4, 2018, due to age-related ailments. She was 85.
- Menon, a cancer survivor, began her career as a journalist with the Indian Express in Delhi in 1978 at a time when few women ventured into the profession.
- Later she was shifted to Kochi as its Correspondent. She also worked as its Kottayam bureau chief.
10. India to host Asia Cup International Bridge C'ship:-
- India would be hosting the third Asia Cup International Bridge Championship in Goa from June 4 to June 11, 2018.
- The championship, to be held in Goa, will be contested in five categories namely men, women, mixed, super-mixed and senior.
- It will see participation from players belonging to countries including Australia, Bangladesh, Singapore, China, Japan, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Korea.
- The first round of matches will be played from June 5-8. Four top teams in each category would then progress to the knock-out stage.