Current Affairs of 03 August 2018:-
1. Andhra Pradesh approves Mukhyamantri Yuva Nestam Scheme:-
- Andhra Pradesh Government approved Mukhyamantri Yuva Nestam, an unemployment allowance scheme to provide Rs 1000 per month to unemployed youth in the state.
- The allowance will be directly credited in bank accounts of selected beneficiaries through biometric authentication in a transparent manner.
- It will not be applicable to those paying provident fund.
- The scheme will benefit 12 lakh youth in the 22-35 years age group from the state.
- Registration for enrolling into the scheme will start from either third or fourth week of August 2018.
2. Apple Becomes First $1 Trillion Company in History:-
- Apple Inc. became the first U.S.-based company with a market value of $1 trillion, four decades after it was co-founded by Steve Jobs in a Silicon Valley garage and later revolutionized the worlds of computing, music and mobile communications.
- The iMac desktop computer, the iPod, iPhone, and iPad were smashed hits.
3. Railway Minister approves new promotion policy for railway sportspersons:-
- The Union Minister of Railways, Piyush Goyal has approved a new policy for promotion of railway sportspersons.
- Under the new policy, the railway sportspersons who have won a position or medal in the Olympics and all those sportspersons and coaches who have been awarded the Padma Shri will be promoted as officers.
- The railway sportspersons, who are winners of any of the awards like Arjuna/Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, would also be entitled to the promotion.
4. Emmerson Mnangagwa wins Presidential elections in Zimbabwe:-
- Zimbabwe President Emmerson Mnangagwa, a former ally of ousted President Robert Mugabe, won country's landmark Presidential elections.
- With all 10 provinces declared, Mnangagwa won 50.8 percent of votes and defeated opposition leader Nelson Chamisa of MDC party who gained 44.3 percent.
- Zimbabwe Electoral Commission declared ZANU-PF party's Mnangagwa, a duly declared elected president.
- Meanwhile, the opposition has rejected the results.
5. Lewis Hamilton Won 6th Hungarian Formula 1 Grand Prix:-
- Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes won the Hungarian Grand Prix for the 6th time, at the Hungaroring circuit, in Hungary.
- This is the 67th career victory for Lewis Hamilton. Daniel Ricciardo was named Driver of the Day by Formula One for finishing at fourth position after starting from the 12th position.
6. Reliance Jio partnered with SBI for digital services:-
- RIL’s telecom subsidiary Reliance Jio partnered with State Bank of India (SBI) to extend the next generation of digital banking and payments services to customers.
- MyJio platform will enable SBI YONO’s digital banking features and solutions for a seamless, integrated and superior customer experience.
- It will also extend the financial services capabilities of SBI and Jio Payments Bank.
7. First-ever dragonfly festival in Delhi:-
- The dragonfly festival is being organized from August 3 to September 1, 2018, at World Wide Fund (WWF) auditorium, New Delhi.
- The aim is to spread awareness about the role of Dragonflies in maintaining a healthy ecosystem.
- Festival includes special events like ‘Be a scientist for a day’, ‘Date with a dragonfly’, etc. by WWF India and Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS).
8. SC issues directions to revamp Judicial Infrastructure:-
- The Supreme Court on August 2, 2018, issued a slew of directions to revamp judicial infrastructure and the quality of justice administration in courts across the country.
- A bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justices AM Khanwilkar, and DY Chandrachud ruled that the strengthening of court infrastructure requires the immediate attention in the form of planning, enhanced budgeting, and structured implementation.
- The apex court directed that professionally qualified court managers, preferably with an MBA degree, shall be appointed in judicial districts to assist in court administration.
9. Ministry of Textiles and Power launches SAATHI initiative:-
- SAATHI (Sustainable and Accelerated Adoption of efficient Textile technologies to Help Small Industries) aims to accelerate the adoption of energy efficient textile technologies in the power loom sector and cost savings due to use of such technology.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) will replace old inefficient electric motors with energy efficient IE3 motors which will result in energy and cost saving up to 10-15% in the first phase.
- Power loom clusters at Ichalkaranji, Bhiwandi, Erode, Surat, Bhilwara, and Panipat have been identified for pilot study.
10. Karnataka made Yoga mandatory for all colleges and universities in the State:-
- The Karnataka government has made Yoga mandatory for all colleges and universities in the State. It was decided at a meeting of Vice-chancellors and other officials of state universities which were chaired by State Higher Education Minister G T Devegowda.
- According to the officials, all government, aided and private degree colleges in the state must conduct yoga for 20-minutes.
- It also said that a proposal to recruit 5,000 teaching staff has been approved by the Chief Minister and the Finance Department of the State.