Current Affairs of 02 September 2018 following as:-
1. Justice Tahira Safdar: first woman Chief Justice of Balochistan high court of Pakistan:-
- She is the first woman ever to take the position of a chief justice in a Pakistan high court.
- In 1982 when she became the first woman civil judge in Balochistan.
- She is currently a member of the three-judge special court conducting the trial of former President Pervez Musharraf.
2. Justice Ranjan Gogoi to take charge as Chief Justice of India:-
- Justice Ranjan Gogoi is set to take over as the new Chief Justice of India on October 3, 2018. His name has been recommended for the post by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra to the government. As per convention, the senior most judge of the Supreme Court is appointed the Chief Justice of India and Justice Ranjan Gogoi by virtue of his seniority should be next in line. He is expected to take oath on October 3.
3. EAM Sushma Swaraj’s 4-day two-nation visit to Vietnam and Cambodia:-
- From 27-30 August 2018, External Affairs Minister, Smt. Sushma Swaraj went on a 2 nation ministerial visit to Vietnam and Cambodia.
- On August 27, 2018, MEA Sushma Swaraj co-chaired the 16th meeting of the Joint Commission along with Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, H.E. Mr. Pham Binh Minh.
- On August 28, 2018, MEA Sushma Swaraj inaugurated the 3rd edition of the Indian Ocean Conference.
- On August 29th, 2018, MEA Sushma Swaraj visited Cambodia for the first time. Both the nations signed 2 agreements to step up cooperation.
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi released the book “Moving On, Moving Forward – A Year in Office”:-
- On 2nd September 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi released the book “Moving On, Moving Forward – A Year in Office” written by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu.
- Narendra Modi presented the first copy of the book to Venkaiah Naidu. The book was written by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu to mark his one year in office.
5. ‘Krishna Kutir’: Home for widows inaugurated in Vrindavan, Uttar Pradesh:-
- The Minister for Women & Child Development, Smt Maneka Gandhi, along with Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Shri Adityanath Yogi inaugurated the widows’ home ‘Krishna Kutir’ at Vrindavan, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh.
- Krishna Kutir is a special home for 1000 windows set up by the Ministry of Women & Child Development under Swadhar Greh scheme of the Ministry and is the largest ever facility of its kind created by a government organization. It has been constructed at a cost of 57.48 Crores.
- WCD Ministry has started theSwadhar Greh scheme to provide such facilities to abandoned and shelterless women. This will not only reduce their difficulties but will also help them live a dignified life with a sense of confidence.
6. 18th Asian Games concluded on September 2; India finishes with biggest ever medal tally of 69:-
- India won a total of 69 medals which comprises: 15 gold, 24 silver, and 30 bronze medals, and ranked 8th in the medals tally. China finished on top of the medal tally with 289 medals.
- India has surpassed its previous highest tally of 65 medals achieved at the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou, China. Also, India has matched the gold medal tally from the first-ever Asian Games in 1951.
- Overall 465 gold medals were won by the athletes of 28 countries. 37 out of 45 participating nations have won medals at the Asian Games 2018.
7. India leads growth in international tourism from the South Asian region: UN World Tourism Organisation 2017 report:-
- On September 2, 2018, according to a report by the UN World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO), international tourism hits a record high of 1,323 million international tourist arrivals across the globe in 2017.
- India leads the chart of growth in the South Asian region with a total of 15.54 million in 2017.
8. World coconut day:-
- On 2nd September 2018, World coconut day was celebrated all over the world.
- On 2nd September 2018, Coconut Development Board celebrated the World Coconut Day 2018 along with the Department of Horticulture, Government of Chhattisgarh with the theme ‘Coconut for Good Health, Wealth & Wellness’.
- The event was held at Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. It was inaugurated by Radha Mohan Singh, Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare.