Current Affairs of May 02, 2018 are as follows:-
1. Subash Chandra Khuntia appointed as IRDAI Chairman:-
- Subash Chandra Khuntia was appointed as the Chairman of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
- A 1981 batch IAS officer and a former Chief Secretary of Karnataka, Khuntia will head IRDAI for three years from the date of assuming the charge.
- Khuntia succeeds T.S. Vijayan who retired as IRDAI recently.
2.Rizvi claims No.1 spot pistol rankings:-
- Indian shooter Shahzar Rizvi wins the number one spot in 10m air pistol rankings by ISSF.
- He won the silver medal in the just-concluded World Cup in Changwon, Korea. The other Indians in the top-10 are Jitu Rai and Om Prakash Mitharval who are at 6th & 12th spot.
3.National Digital Communications Policy 2018: DoT releases draft Telecom policy:-
- The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has released a draft of new Telecom policy – National Digital Communications Policy, 2018.
- The policy seeks to unlock transformative power of digital communications networks to achieve the goal of digital empowerment and well-being of the people of India.
- The policy recognises its importance for attracting investments and ensuring fair competition, to serve the needs of the people.
- It aims to optimise availability and utilisation by making adequate spectrum available to be equipped for the new broadband era.
4.South Western Command conducts exercise Vijay Prahar in Rajasthan:-
- South Western Command of Indian Army is conducting ‘Vijay Prahar’ exercise in Mahajan area close to Suratgarh in Rajasthan
- Over 20,000 troops are participating in fighting equipment for a couple of weeks to fine-tune jointmanship with the Indian Air Force.
- The month-long exercise is aimed to orchestrate wide spectrum of threats which are planned to be tackled through high tempo joint air and land operation.
5.President Ram Nath Kovind to preside over a PM-headed panel on Gandhi’s 150th birth Anniversary:-
- President Ram Nath Kovind on May 2, 2018, presided over the first meeting of the national committee set up for the commemoration of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in 2019.
- The birth anniversary of the Mahatma Gandhi will be commemorated from October 2, 2019, to October 2, 2020.
- The 114-member committee, comprising Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, former Prime Ministers and Chief Justice of India, will discuss the policies, plans and preparatory activities for a commemoration of the birth anniversary.
- The Ministry of Culture will be a nodal ministry for celebrations.
- Chief Ministers of different states, leaders of various political parties, Gandhians, spiritual leaders and social workers are expected to attend the meeting.
6.Union Government Launches Pilot Scheme:-
- The Indian government launched a Pilot Scheme for procurement of aggregate power of 2500 MW on a competitive basis for three years under medium term from commissioned power plants without power purchase agreements.
- The main purpose of the scheme is to revive commissioned power plants which are unable to sell electricity in the absence of valid power purchase agreements.
- These plants can bid for power supply under the scheme.
7.Sitanshu Kar takes over as DG of Press Information Bureau:-
- Mr Sitanshu Ranjan Kar (1983 batch officer of Indian Information Service) took over as the 27th Principal Spokesperson of the Government of India and Director General of Press Information Bureau in New Delhi.
8.India-China border trade resumes via Nathu La Pass:-
- The India-China border bilateral trade for the year 2018 resumed on May 1, 2018, through the Nathu La border with the exchange of gifts between both the sides.
- The trade was disrupted in 2017 following the Doklam standoff.
- In 2016-2017, goods worth Rs 3.54 crore were traded via Nathu La, the Sino-Indian border.