Current Affairs of July 02, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Irrfan Khan honoured with Icon Award at the London Indian Film Festival:-
- Irrfan, who is undergoing treatment in London for a neuroendocrine tumor, accepted his award privately.
- Richa Chadha won the Outstanding Achievement Award, while Manoj Bajpayee was also awarded an Icon Award.
- British comedy 'Eaten By Lions' won this year's top prize, voted by the audience.
2. Anjolie Ela Menon conferred with Kalidas Award:-
- Noted artist Anjolie Ela Menon was conferred with the National Kalidas Samman for visual arts from the Madhya Pradesh government.
- The award was conferred in recognition of her insightful and sensitive portrayal of the identity and spirit of women through her meaningful paintings in a variety of media.
- Menon is India’s most accomplished artists and is the recipient of the Padma Shri.
3. Nigeria replaces India to become World’s Largest Poor Population:-
- With the persistent decline in poverty, India is no longer a nation having the largest number of poor people in the world, according to a study published by the US-based think tank, Brookings.
- The study, titled ‘The start of a new poverty narrative’ and published in the Brookings’ blog, is authored by Homi Kharas, Kristofer Hamel, and Martin Hofer.
4. Aadhaar, PAN Linking Deadline Extended To March 31 Next Year:-
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has extended the time for linking PAN with Aadhaar till 31 March 2019. This is the fifth time that the government has extended the last date.
- The earlier deadlines for linking Aadhaar-PAN were July 31, August 31 and December 31, 2017, March 31 and June 30 this year.
- India had launched Aadhaar, now the world's biggest biometric database, in 2009 to streamline welfare payments and reduce wastage in public spending.
5. Sathyasri Sharmila from Tamil Nadu becomes First Transgender Lawyer of India:-
- 36-year-old Sathyasri Sharmila from Paramakudi in Ramanathapuram district, Tamil Nadu has become the first transgender lawyer to enroll herself with the Bar Council of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry (BCTNP).
- On a related note, Rajasthan's Ganga Kumari was appointed as the first transgender woman constable after Justice Dinesh Mehta issued the order.
- Meanwhile, West Bengal's Joyita Mondal was appointed the Lok Adalat judge of Islampur in North Dinajpur district, thus giving India its first transgender judge.
6. Journalist Rajat Sharma is new DDCA president:-
- Renowned journalist Rajat Sharma was elected as the President of Delhi & District Cricket Association after polling 54.40 percent of the total votes cast.
- Sharma surpassed former World Cup winning Indian cricketer Madan Lal by 517 votes to register his win. Sharma’s group swept all the 12 seats in the elections.
- He got a total of 1531 votes while former Test cricketer Lal could only poll 1004 votes, while advocate Vikas Singh managed to get 232 votes.
- On the other hand, Rakesh Kumar Bansal was elected as the Vice President with 48.87 percent votes in his favor, younger brother of former DDCA president Sneh Bansal.
7. Rahul Dravid becomes the fifth Indian cricketer to be inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame:-
- Former Team India captain Rahul Dravid (45-year-old) has become the fifth Indian cricketer after Anil Kumble, Sunil Gavaskar, Bishan Singh Bedi and Kapil Dev to be inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame.
- He scored 24,208 runs in 509 international matches in his nearly 16-year-long playing career.
- Australia captain Ricky Ponting and retired England woman wicketkeeper-batter Claire Taylor are also inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame.
8. Lee Chong Wei won Malaysian Open Badminton singles title:-
- Malaysian veteran Lee Chong Wei has won the Malaysian Open Badminton singles title for a historic 12th time.
- In the final match, he defeated Japanese shuttler Kento Momota in straight games 21-17 23-21 in 71 minutes.
9. Janardan Singh Gehlot is elected as President of International Kabaddi Federation Chief:-
- Janardan Singh Gehlot, an Indian sports administrator, was elected as the president of the International Kabaddi Federation (IKF) for the next four years. The result was announced after the Annual General Congress (AGC) of the federation, conducted in Dubai, the UAE.
- Observer and Director of International Affairs Olympic Council of Asia Vinod Tiwari was also present in the AGC of the IKF where 22 member countries participated.
10. UP launches ‘Commercial tax at your door steps' scheme on GST Day:-
- The Uttar Pradesh Government launched 'Commercial Tax at your doorsteps' on the occasion of Goods and Services Tax (GST) Day celebration at the offices of commercial tax on July 1, 2018.
- The scheme will run from July 1 to August 31, 2018.
- During these days, officials will meet the small and medium traders and resolve their issues related to commercial taxes.
- The facility of return filing, registration amendments and e-way bill downloading will be provided instantly and further assistance to resolve the technical issues will be provided swiftly.
11. India celebrated 1st July 2018 as GST Day:-
- July 1st, 2018 was celebrated as ‘GST day’ to mark one year of Goods and Services Tax (GST). GST replaced multi-layered, complex indirect tax structure with a simple, transparent and technology-driven tax regime.
- Items under GST are taxed in five tax brackets: 0%, 5%, 12%, 18% and 28%. Some items such as petrol, diesel, and liquor are, in fact, not included in GST.
- The whole aim in the reform of Indian taxation is that the common citizen is expected to gain from GST regime in the future on account of anti-profiteering provisions of the landmark legislation.
12. Mexico elections 2018: Lopez Obrador wins a historic election:-
- Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador won Mexico’s presidency in a landslide victory on July 1, 2018, setting the stage for the left-wing to form the government at a time of tense relations with the Trump administration.
- Obrador won with the widest margin in a presidential election since the 1980s.
- Lopez Obrador campaigned on vows to transform Mexico and oust the “mafia of power” ruling the country and won the votes of angry and frustrated people over corrupt and violent practices of the governing Institutional Revolution Party of President Enrique Pena Nieto.