Current Affairs 02 January 2019 are as follows:-
1. Two women script history by entering Sabarimala shrine:-
- Cloaked in black veils and shrouded in the early morning darkness, two women of menstruating age group made history on January 2, 201,9 when they stepped into the Sabarimala temple of Lord Ayyappa, breaking a centuries-old tradition defying dire threats from the Hindu right.
- The women--Kanakadurga and Bindu--aged 44 and 42, stepped into the hallowed precincts guarded by police three months after the Supreme Court's historic judgment lifting the ban on entry of girls and women between 10 and 50 years of age into the shrine of Lord Ayyappa, its "eternally celibate" deity.
- The women, draped in black and faces covered in veils, entered the temple at 3:38 am, a day after over 35 lakh women stood shoulder-to-shoulder across the national highways in Kerala, creating a 620 km-long human 'wall' from the northern end of Kasaragod to the southern tip in Thiruvananthapuram as part of the state-sponsored initiative to uphold gender equality longer range A321neo plane
2. IndiGo gets its first long-range A321neo plane:-
- India's largest airline IndiGo has become the first domestic airline to have longer range Airbus A321neo (new engine option) plane in its fleet with the first aircraft arriving from the European aviation major Airbus' Hamburg facility in Germany.
- This is part of its 150-aircraft order. The new aircraft will help the Rahul Bhatia-led airline to fly to Europe, and add destinations in Asia.
- IndiGo now has 204 planes in its fleet, including one A321neo, 65 A320neos, 126 A320ceos (current engine option), and 12 ATRs.
- IndiGo at present operates over 1,300 daily flights to 52 domestic and 15 international destinations.
3. Vinod Kumar Yadav appointed as Railway Board Chairman:-
- General Manager of South Central Railway, Vinod Kumar Yadav, has been appointed as Chairman of Railway Board and ex-officio Principal Secretary to Government of India. His appointment came after Ashwani Lohani’s superannuation on Monday (31 December).
- Vinod Kumar Yadav belongs to the 1980 batch of Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers (IRSEE).
4. Justice T B N Radhakrishnan was sworn in as first Chief Justice of Telangana HC:-
- Justice Thottathil Bhaskaran Nair Radhakrishnan was sworn in as the first Chief Justice of the Telangana High Court.
- The oath to the office was administered to Justice Radhakrishnan by Telangana and Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan at a ceremony held at Raj Bhavan.
- The ceremony was attended by Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao and other judges, lawyers, and senior government officials. With this, the state of Telangana will have its first independent high court.
5. ISRO launches Samwad with students to engage them in space science activities:-
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launched a new platform called ‘Samwad with Students’ in Bengaluru, as part of its enhanced outreach programme.
- Through the initiative, ISRO aims to constantly engage youngsters across India in activities concerning space science to capture their scientific temperament. The new conversation mission aims to inspire students cutting across schools and colleges.
6. Virat Kohli equals Ganguly's record with 11th away test win as captain:-
- Indian Cricket team captain Virat Kohli equaled Former Indian Captain Sourav Ganguly’s record with 11th away test win as a captain after defeating Australia in the 3rd Test Match held in Melbourne, Australia.
- Virat Kohli became the first Indian captain to retain the Border-Gavaskar trophy on Australian soil. India is leading the series with 2-1.
7. Madhya Pradesh government to create an Adhyatmik Vibhag(spiritual department):-
- Congress-led Madhya Pradesh Government announced that it is going to create an Adhyatmik Vibhag (spiritual department) by merging several existing department.
- The Congress had promised to form such a department before the last month’s Assembly elections.
- The proposed Adhyatmik Vibhag (Spiritual Department) going to be formed by merging Dharmik Nyas Evam Dharmasv Department (Religious Trust and Endowment Department), Anand Vibhag (Happiness Department) in addition to the Directorate of Religious Trust and Endowment, Madhya Pradesh Teerth Evam Mela Pradhikaran and Rajya Anand Sansthan.
8. Brazil's new president, Jair Bolsonaro, takes office:-
- Brazil's far-right President Jair Bolsonaro took office on January 1, 2019, and used his inaugural speech to promise to build a "society without discrimination or division".
- The former army captain told Congress he wanted a "national pact" to free Brazil of corruption, crime, and economic mismanagement.
- The 63-year-old Bolsonaro is seen as a deeply divisive figure whose racist, homophobic and misogynistic remarks have angered many.
- He won the presidential election by a wide margin against Fernando Haddad of the left-wing Workers' Party on October 28.