Current Affairs of August 02, 2018, are as follows:-
1. China launches high-resolution Earth observation satellite:-
- China launched Gaofen-11, an optical remote sensing satellite, as part of the country's high-resolution Earth observation project.
- The Gaofen-11 satellite was launched on a Long March 4B rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi Province. It was the 282nd flight mission by a Long March carrier rocket.
- The satellite can be used for land survey, urban planning, road network design, agriculture, and disaster relief. Its data will also be used for the Belt and Road Initiative.
- Since the Gaofen project began in 2010, China has gained an increasingly clearer view of the planet.
2. Ten-year-old swimmer breaks a record set by 23 time Olympic gold medalist:-
- At the Far Western Long Course Championship, a 10-year-old swimmer named Clark Kent Apuada (Filipino-American boy) won the 100-meter butterfly in 1:09:38, that’s more than a second faster than the record Michael Phelps (23-time Olympic gold medalist) set at the Far Western swimming championship in 1995 in the same category of boys 10 and under.
3. Kumar Mangalam Birla, YC Deveshwar appointed directors in Air India:-
- Renowned industrialists Kumar Mangalam Birla (heads of $44.3 billion multinational Aditya Birla Group) and YC Deveshwar (chairman of ITC) appointed as non-official independent directors in Air India, for a period of three years.
- This appointment was approved by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Besides them, Shyamvir Saini and Gurmohinder Singh will be non-official independent directors in National Seeds Corporation Ltd and Bharat Earth Movers Limited respectively.
- Tapan Kumar Mandal has been named non-official independent directors in Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Ltd.
4. Radioactive molecule detected in space:-
- In a first, astronomers have detected a radioactive molecule in space, believed to be from a stellar explosion that took place in the 17th century.
- The radioactive molecule was spotted with the Northern Extended Millimetre Array and the Atacama Large Millimetre/ Submillimeter Array radio telescopes.
- The radioactive molecule is an isotope of aluminum monofluoride.
5. ONGC won top honors at Swachhta Pakwada Awards:-
- Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) received top honours at the Swachhta Pakwada Awards, an oil ministry initiative to honour companies and individuals doing exemplary work in cleanliness.
- The award was given away by Oil Secretary M M Kutty to ONGC Chairman and Managing Director Shashi Shanker.
- Indian Oil Corp (IOC) bagged the runner-up's award. The Oil Ministry celebrated Swachhta Pakhwada fortnight from July 1 to 15 with the theme 'Innovation and Sustainability'.
6. RBI releases Third Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement 2018-19:-
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on August 1, 2018, released its Third Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement 2018-19.
- After assessing the current and evolving macroeconomic situation in the economy, the six members Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) decided to increase the policy Repo Rate under the Liquidity Adjustment Facility (LAF) by 25 basis points to 6.50 percent.
- The Reverse Repo Rate under the LAF stands adjusted to 6.25 percent. The Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate stand at 6.75 percent.
7. Afghan announced that the Presidential election will be held on 20th April 2019:-
- Afghanistan announced that the next presidential election will be held on April 20, 2019. Abdul Badi Sayad, chairman of the Independent Election Commission announced the date of the election in the presence and with the unanimous consent of the Afghan political parties and the Civil society activists.
- The tenure of the incumbent, President Ashraf Ghani, will end in the year 2019. It is expected that he will stand for another five-year term.
8. Imran Khan Invites Aamir Khan, Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev to Oath Ceremony:-
- Imran Khan, Pakistan's prime minister-to-be, has invited Bollywood star Aamir Khan and former cricketers Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev and Navjot Singh Sidhu to his oath-taking ceremony on August 11.
- Imran Khan's Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party emerged as the single largest party in Pakistan's national assembly after the July 25 general election.