Current Affairs of 01 November 2018 are as follows:-
1. Soura Jalanidhi scheme launched in Odisha:-
- The main aim is to increase the use of solar energy for helping farmers in irrigation. It is a dug well based solar pump irrigation system in convergence mode.
- The total cost of the scheme allocated by the state government is Rs. 27.18 crore in the 2018-19 financial year.
- Under this scheme, 5,000 solar pumps will be provided to farmers at a subsidy of 90 per cent to irrigate 2,500 acres of land.
- The Chief Minister distributed four go-ahead orders for installation of a solar pump to the farmers.
2. Team India, Virat Kohli maintain the top position in ICC Test rankings:-
- Skipper Virat Kohli and Team India both maintained their top positions in the latest ICC Test rankings published on November 1, 2018.
- India defeated the eighth-ranked West Indies with 116 points in its kitty, 10 more than second-placed South Africa.
- Kohli, with 935 points, is 25 points clear of currently suspended Steve Smith (910 points).
- Cheteshwar Pujara is placed sixth with 765 points.
3. Mphasis signed with IIMBs incubation centre:-
- Mphasis has signed with NSRCEL, the start-up incubation centre at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, to support the early-stage social venture.
- The programme aimed to incubate and support ‘for profit’ social ventures and startups that have been in operation for one to three years.
- Over 550 applications were received for this programme and 16 of them were shortlisted for the three-month pre-incubation. They were then given an opportunity to pitch before an advisory council for selection to the programme which will be for 12-18 months.
- TAXSHE Services Pvt. Ltd., ECONUT Coconut Producer Company Ltd., Blink Research and Services Pvt. Ltd., ThinkZone, and Rural Caravan Pvt. Ltd. are the selected ventures.
4. Maharashtra announced drought in 151 tehsils in 26 districts:-
- Maharashtra government has announced severe and medium-scale drought in 151 tehsils in 26 districts.
- The announcement will hold for the next six months. Out of the 151 tehsils, 39 come under the ‘severe drought’ category while 112 are medium-scale areas.
- The declaration is based on the Centre’s drought manual of 2016. The government asked the District Collectors to not collect land revenue from farmers, implement a 33% subsidy on the electricity bill of agriculture pumps, kick-start employment guarantee scheme, and exempt school and college fees for students from these tehsils.
- Farmers will get financial aid and government is likely to credit Rs.6,800 per hectare to farmers with non-irrigated farms and Rs.13,000 per hectare to those with irrigated farms.
5. Pankaj Advani becomes first Indian to win Asian Snooker Tour title:-
- The 33-year-old from Pune, Pankaj Advani became the first Indian to win an Asian Snooker Tour event after defeating China's Ju Reti 6-1 in the final in Jinan, China.
- Pankaj is Nineteen-time world champion. He won Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award for Billiards & Snooker.
6. Indo - Japan joint military exercise Dharma Guardian 2018 begins:-
- Exercise Dharma Guardian - 2018, a joint military exercise between Indian and Japanese Armies, commenced at Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School, Vairengete, Mizoram, India on November 1, 2018.
- Being first of its kind, the 14 days long joint exercise is being conducted from November 1, 2018, to November 14, 2018.
- The Japanese contingent is being represented by the 32nd Infantry Battalion, while the Indian side is being represented by 6/1 Gorkha Rifles.
- The exercise will consist of a balance of indoor classes and outdoor training activities.
- The objective of this exercise is to build and promote army to army relations in addition to exchanging skills and experiences between both the armies.
7. Austria to withdraw from UN migration pact:-
- Austria is set to follow the United States and Hungary by backing out of a United Nations (UN) migration pact. United Nations' (UN) Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration agreement is due to be formally approved in December in Morocco.
- The pact aims to boost international cooperation on migration issues. Austrian Chancellor - Sebastian Kurz.
8. Seven Indian States celebrate their formation day Today:-
- November 1 marks the foundation day of seven Indian states namely Karnataka, Kerala, Chhattisgarh, Punjab, Rajasthan, Haryana and Madhya Pradesh. The union territories of Lakshwadeep, Puducherry, Andaman & Nicobar also celebrate their formation day on November 1.