Current Affairs of May 01, 2018, are as follows:-
1.May 01: International Labour Day:-
- International Labour Day is also known as International Worker’s Day, Labour Day and May Day.
- It is celebrated across the world on 1st May to promote and encourage the international labour associations.
- The theme of International Labour Day 2018 is “Uniting Workers for Social and Economic Advancement”.
2.Sikkim's Pawan Chamling becomes India's longest Serving Chief Minister:-
- Sikkim’s Pawan Chamling (68) created history by becoming longest-serving Chief Minister in India.
- He has Completed 23 years, four months and 17 days of uninterrupted service in office.
- He surpassed earlier record held by Jyoti Basu, 5-term West Bengal CM who held office for 23 years.
- Basu was in office from June 21, 1977, to November 6, 2000.
3.Kavinder Gupta takes oath as J&K deputy CM:-
- Kavinder Gupta, who resigned as the Speaker of Jammu and Kashmir Assembly was sworn-in as the Deputy Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, replacing BJP colleague Nirmal Singh.
- Seven others ministers were also sworn in the state's PDP-BJP government led by Mehbooba Mufti.
4.15th Paravasi Bharatiya Divas to be held in Varanasi in January 2019:-
- The 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be held in a holy city if Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh) from January 21 to January 23, 2019.
- Its theme will be “Role of Indian Diaspora in building a New India”.
- The mega event will be organised by Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in association with Uttar Pradesh government.
- It will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Mauritian counterpart Pravind Jugnauth.
5.Argentina’s central bank hiked interest rates to 30.25%:-
- Central Bank of Argentina has raised interest rates by 300 bps to fight inflationary pressures.
- The already high benchmark interest rates in the country have been raised from 27.25 percent to 30.25 percent in a bid to prop up its ailing currency from sliding further against the US dollar.
6.Paytm Introduces 'Tap Card' Offline Payments Solution:-
- One97 Communications Limited, the owner of digital payment major, Paytm, announced the launch of its offline payments solution - the Paytm Tap Card, in line with the company's vision to provide seamless payments solutions for non-internet customers.
- This card uses Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to enable safe and convenient digital payments, completely offline at Paytm-issued, NFC PoS terminals, in under a second.
- To make payments, users can add money from their Paytm account by scanning the QR code on the Tap Card and by authenticating it at any of the add value machines (AVM).
7.GOBAR-DHAN Scheme launched to promote wealth and energy from waste:-
- The Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation has launched GOBAR (Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources) – DHAN scheme at National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Karnal.
- It was launched under Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) by Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation Uma Bharti.
- The GOBAR-DHAN Scheme aims to positively impact village cleanliness and generate wealth and energy from cattle and organic waste.
- It also aims at creating new rural livelihood opportunities and enhancing income for farmers and other rural people.
8.Indian fencer won a silver medal at Reykjavik:-
- India’s CA Bhavani Devi won a silver medal in the sabre event of the Tournoi World Cup Satellite Fencing Championship in Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Bhavani Devi had won a gold medal at the Reykjavik tournament last year to become the first Indian to do so in an international fencing event.
- The Tamil Nadu fencer defeated USA’s Alexis Browne in the final.
9.International Buddhist Conference held in Lumbini, Nepal:-
- Lumbini is the birthplace of Gautama Buddha, founder of the Buddhist religion.
- Lord Buddha was born in sacred garden of Lumbini during 6th century BC.
- The basic objective of the conference was to disseminate teachings of Buddha and spread messages of nonviolence, brotherhood, co-existence, love, and peace.
- Lumbini is the birthplace of Gautama Buddha, founder of the Buddhist religion.Lord Buddha was born in sacred garden of Lumbini during 6th century BC.
10.NASA to launch its first mission to study deep interior of Mars:-
- NASA will launch its first-ever mission InSight (Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport) to study the deep interior of Mars on May 05, 2018.
- t will be launched from Space Launch Complex-3 at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California aboard United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V rocket.
- The rocket will also launch two mini-spacecraft called Mars Cube One (Marco) which is NASA’s technology experiment.
- InSight is stationary lander that will be first NASA mission since Apollo moon landings to place seismometer, a device that measures quakes on the soil of another Planet.
- InSight is terrestrial planet explorer that will address one of most fundamental issues of planetary and solar system science.
11.Uday Kotak redesignated as MD & CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank:-
- The board of directors of Kotak Mahindra Bank has redesignated Uday Kotak as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer. Mr Kotak was earlier executive Vice Chairman and Managing Director.
- Mr Kotak was the only official among private banks to have a Vice Chairman designation. All others have MD & CEO designation.
12.Prajnesh Gunneswaran wins a maiden title on Tennis Challenger Circuit:-
- Indian athletes have proved that competing against them is not an easy task.
- Prajnesh Gunneswaran clinched his first ever singles title on the ATP Challenger circuit when he downed Egypt's Mohammed Safwat in the final of the Kunming Open in Anning.
- Ranking at the 260th position, the 28-year-old Chennai lad earned 125 points which are likely to help him jump more than 80 places when the new ranking chart. India will now have three players inside top-200 as Prajnesh is expected to be around 175.
- Yuki Bhambri leads the chart for the country at number 83 and is followed by Ramkumar Ramanathan (115).
13.Pliskova wins Stuttgart Open:-
- The Czech Republic’s Karolina Pliskova clinched the Stuttgart Open title after defeating the US wildcard, Coco Vandeweghe. This was Pliskova’s first title of 2018 and the tenth of her career.
14.Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation Awards 2018 Announced:-
- Dadasaheb Phalke awards are the most important awards for the Indian Cinema. This year, Some new talent is appreciated the most and take their place in Indian Cinema. The list of the awards is described as:
- 1. Best Actor Akshay Kumar, for Padman (Jury) and for Toilet: Ek Prem Katha
2. Best Actress in a Leading Role Sonam Kapoor, for Padman
3. Best Actress Bhumi Pednekar, for Toilet: Ek Prem Katha
4. Lifetime Achievement Award Rakesh Roshan
5. Saraswatibai Dadasaheb Phalke Best Actress (Lifetime) award Farida Jalal
6. ‘Most Versatile Actress’ Award Manisha Koirala
7. Best Actor in a Character Role Rajesh Sharma
8. Best Playback Singer (Female) Neeti Mohan
9. Best TV Anchor Aditya Narayan Jha
10. Best Entertainer (TV) Manish Paul
11. Best Playback Singer (jury) Bhumi Trivedi
12. Best Stage Anchor Siddharth Kannan
13. Best Producer (Short Films) Sandip Marwah
14. Most Entertaining Film (Sonu ki Titu ki Sweety) Luv Ranjan